6 - Church

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

I opened my eyes and answered my phone.

“Just reminding you that tomorrow is our flight for the Manila tour. 7am sharp!”, Kasey sounded exasperated.

“Oh!” – I almost forgot that one. Manila tour, a part of the history class event. We’ll be visiting one of the historical places in Manila – Intramuros.

“Yeah… You forgot… I thought so…”, she said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry...”, I whispered as I sighed and frowned - For not telling you anything, for ditching on you. I’m sorry I’m just not a good friend. “I’m sorry Kasey” I pleaded.

I heard her let out a big sigh too. “I just wanted to hear that you’re fine, though I know that even if you’re not, you’d still tell me you’re okay…”, it was a statement and not a question.

I nodded as if she could see me, she’s right – she knows me.

“Where are you now?”, she pleaded.

I looked around. “I’m home – in my room….. – at my bed….” I said confused.

How did I? I was in the attic… before I… I lost consciousness!

“Oh my!”, I jumped out of bed and I saw Carlo sitting on the chair across my bed.

He stared at me furiously and I gazed back impassively. What had happened?

“Hey! You’re not fine Thea!”, I almost forgot that Kasey was on the other line.

“No. No. I’m good. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? Bye.”, I hung up.

I stood there waiting for my brother’s full blown castigation. What have I done now?

He stood and crossed his arms and glared at me. If his eyes could kill, I would have been brutally murdered by now.

Finally, he spoke in an infuriate tone, “So, weirdo, what’s with this new weirdness of sleeping in the attic? Tell me, maybe I could try that too!”

“I thought you don’t do sarcasm?”

“Don’t make this about me! You were lying there like a dead meat! I thought… I thought there was a killer or burglar or whatever inside our house! You even left the front door open! You know if you want to be crazy and you couldn’t care less about your safety… just spare us from your mess!!” he blurted out and stormed of my room.

Of course I don’t want to involve you. I won’t. I want you safe – you, mama and papa.

“Honey, enjoy your tour and be safe, okay?”, mama Elena hugged me and handed me a bottle. I looked at it and it’s a bottle of prescription sleeping pills. I wanted to puke in disgust because I really don’t like these kinds of pills. I tried to use it but it just doesn’t have any effect, no deep sleep and I still have the bizarre dreams.

I wanted to give it back to my mama and protest that they’re no help for me but  I’m tired to see her worried, so I just took it and said my thanks. That’s when I heard my mama let out a big sigh, relieved I guess that I didn’t argued and saw papa George relax his shoulders. I hugged them both and hurried to the front door.

“I’ll see you in a week”, I said in the most cheerful way I can and waved goodbye.

Kasey’s car was already outside our house waiting for me. I was genuinely happy to see it because it gave me a little bit comfort that even though she’s pissed at me again, she’s still here for me. I’m such a lucky wacko.