|| 15 ||

1 year later

"Hey baby, I'm here," Kasamatsu replies dutifully, a small smile on his face as he anxiously surveys the people around him. "Yeah, I'm standing by the fountain."

"Sorry, I know I'm running late," you say, dreading the heels you're wearing today. "I'm inside the park, I'm sorry it took me this long to call. The commute just sapped me of all my strength. I'll get there as soon as I can."

"Take your time," Kasamatsu chuckles, "I'm in no hurry."

You groan, "why are you like this, I seriously lucked out with you."

"Because I like you a lot, okay. Be sa- wait, I see you! "

"What already?! No way!"

Kasamatsu cranes his neck, his smile widening as he catches a glimpse. "You look as beautiful as ever, baby."

"Oh! You're right, I'm running full spe-

You curse as you collide with another body mid-run. But before you fall, you feel a pair of steady hands grip your arms tightly to steady you. You blink, call still on-going as your eyes meet with Kasamatsu's.

"______?"

Your eyes widen in recognition, a small laugh tumbling out of your lips as you ponder the odds of this ever happening.

"Well, hello to you too, Yukio."

"Yo-you're a sight for sore eyes," he tells you, letting go of you to wrap you in a bear hug. "I can't believe it."

"Ditto. I'm heading to the office right now."

"The office, oh yeah - I heard from the guys, you're in PR, aren't you?"

"Yeah, it's pretty interesting, but enough about me, how about you?" You say quickly, painfully curious about Kasamatsu. After all, you haven't seen him since that day. "You're dressed up all fancy now; a-are you on a date or something?"

"I- actually, I am, yeah," he says sheepishly, "I was waiting for my girlfriend."

"Oh," your hand tightens on your phone, "that's great! She's a lucky girl."

"I think I'm luckier," he says sheepishly. "There she is! _____, this is my girlfriend. 

Kasamatsu waves over a pretty girl in a light blue summer dress, who looks vaguely familiar. You force a smile on your lips as you shake her hand and exchange quick pleasantries."

"Baby, this is _____, we-"

He trails off, looking at you uncertainly. Your heart wrenches painfully in your chest as you choke out what you hope is a believable laugh.

"I can't believe it, you're still so nervous around girls. Don't worry, Kasamatsu and I go way back, we were good friends in high school."

A relieved smile blooms on her familiar face (you still can't place how you know her).

"Anyway, it's been lovely meeting the two of you." The words taste bitter on your tongue but you force it out, for his sake. "I wish you guys all the happiness in the world."

"Yeah, you too, _____," Kasamatsu manages to say without a hint of sarcasm or bitterness.

And it kills you just a little bit.

"W-well, I have to go now, Sana's probably getting roasted in the office for covering for me. I better not keep her waiting."

"Oh yeah, we should hang soon. Get the rest of the guys together for some drinks."

"Sounds fun," you nod. "See you around."

"Yeah, you too."

You tear yourself away from him and his girlfriend, running full speed in the direction of your office. It's only when you've run out of breath that you realize your call is still going. You curse loudly, causing an elderly woman to raise a brow at you, not having the heart to drop the call, you press the phone close to you.

"Sana?"

She's silent for a moment, "are you alright?"

"No," and it's your admission that breaks the dam. "He's happy, he's really happy."

"Baby steps, _____. You'll get there too."

"I-I'm happy for him, I really am." You whisper, fat tears cutting through your cheeks, "but why couldn't it be me?"

"Maybe, you just weren't right for each other," Sana says in her most soothing voice, "but that doesn't mean you can't be happy."

"I-I guess."

"You're getting there, _____. I just know it."

"Yeah. Thanks Sana."

"Anytime _____."

"I'm gonna hang up now okay? My phone bill's gonna be the death of me."

Sana chuckles, "okay, remember, you're gonna be so happy someday _____, just you wait."

"I know," you say, more for yourself than her. "I will."

| end |