Ch 16: Escape

Pain seers through my shoulder. She hit her target. Her eyes widen as she realizes what she's done.

"I-I," she stutters over her words, tears pooling in her eyes. She actually feels bad for shooting me with the gun. I don't give her another second to see me in pain so I hurtle towards her, through my pain. I tackle her to the floor and grab the gun. I stand back up and point it towards her.

"I'm leaving. Don't ever come near me again, under any circumstances." I continue to point it towards her as I squat down and grab the keys to the only door in the room. She nods her head, scooting towards the wall. "And for the record, I didn't want to kill her. I really am sorry for your loss."

"I'm sorry too. I was a terrible friend, fake or not. I did actually learn to love you. Goodbye, Em." She gives me a sad smile as I back up.

"Bye Amelia."

"Please, call me Remi. I actually don't mind it that much."

I nod and put the keys in the hole, watching her out of the corner of my eyes. She has made no moves so far. I open the door, and close it behind me swiftly. I make sure it is locked as I leave. I hear Remi's cries as I reach a staircase leading upstairs.

I duck under the stairs and check how many bullets I have in the gun. There is only 3 left. I close it up and peek around the corner. Nobody seems to be around. I slowly ascend the tall staircase. As I reach the third step from the bottom, I see the handle turn and I jump over the banister, landing quietly on the floor. I return to my hiding spot under the stairs.

Short, quick steps descend the stairs and I struggle to keep my breathing under control. The other person, however, is breathing heavily and recklessly. I peek around the corner, praying they're facing the other way. It's an older man, looking to be about 30 years of age, heading towards another room in the basement. Apparently, there are several rooms in this chamber.

"YOU BETTER GET ME OUTTA HERE YOU LITTLE-" a loud shout is followed by a harsh slapping sound and a cry of agony. I cover my mouth to keep from shrieking. That voice belongs to Axel. A couple of silent tears flow from my swollen eyes. I almost left without him. I stay in my crouching and peeking position under the dirty stairs. I look around behind me for a weapon other than my gun. I find a baseball bat and swiftly grab it. I also find a spare t shirt since mine was shredded when I shifted so suddenly. Luckily, I found a pair of loose shorts to match.

I tuck the gun into the waistband and hold the bat in front of me, defensively. I slowly creep towards the shut door that potentially holds the captured Axel behind it. I fling it open and swing my bat haphazardly. My wild swinging seems to pay off as I hit the older guy over the head with it. He follows to the ground, face first, and doesn't move. I look up and see a wide eyed Axel.

"What are you doing here?" He cries, shaking his arms around, while stuck in the restraints. He has a swollen black eye, several bruises and a scabby scratch down the length of his left arm. Blood surrounds him in sickening puddles. I stare at the blood wide eyed. "I'm okay, Em."

"I'll explain later, now let's get you out of here."

I walk over to him, setting down the bat softly and sticking the key into the hole, freeing my best friend. I help him up and bring him into a tight embrace.

"I'm so glad that you're okay." I cry into his shoulder. He wraps his arms around me tightly.

"We'll be okay, Ember. We'll be okay."

We reluctantly pull apart. Determination clouds our faces. We need to get out of here, and quick. They're going to notice two people dead, one of them crying her eyes out.

"Follow my lead. I'll get us out of here," I try to reassure him as I peek around the corner of the door. A girl in a outfit similar to Remi and Maya's approaches the room holding Maya's body. I lunge out at her, covering her mouth. She clamps down, but I grit my teeth and drag her into the room.

Once I close the door, I release her.

"Who are you?" She says, arms crossed. She has dark blond hair, almost brown, and bright blue eyes. A startling combination.

"We're the prisoners that you and the other disgusting people decided to kidnap," I snap, eyes glaring at the girl. She scoffs.

"You're the ones stupid enough to mess with me," She pulls out her gun, and I pull out mine. Her eyes widen. "How did you-"

"Who's the stupid one now?" I smirk confidently. She visibly gulps.

"What did you do?" She whispers. Fear and anxiety is evident in her quiet voice.

"What I had to do. Drop your gun. Now," I bark, scooting closer to her. "I'm not afraid to shoot you."

She slowly drops her gun, lip quivering. Tears threaten to fall. I honestly do feel bad, but we need to get out of here. Nobody's coming to find us, we need to save ourselves.

"You never saw us. Got it?" I make my voice harsh, I motion for Axel to come but he stays frozen, admiring me.

"That is the hottest thing you've ever done," he murmurs, grabbing the girl's gun. My cheeks burn with the compliment. "Thanks for the gun. Later."

"Come on," I nudge him out the door. I make it a point that I'm locking the door. We slowly tiptoe up the stairs. He insists of walking in front of me because "his manhood is threatened" by how I handled the situation. He peers around the corner, motioning for me to walk out the door as well.

-----------

Author's Note:

Thank you so much for reading and don't forget to go vote and comment on the last chapter where I announced my book.

Also, please check out my new book, "My (not so) Lucky Charm"!!

Ily! 💞

~Galaxy Potato 💞