Ch 27: It begins

Not wanting to get distracted, I angle myself away from Valencia, my mate, so I can focus on talking to Scarlett. This proves to be difficult, because I am so aware. I can feel her presence next to me. I feel every breath inhales, exhales. I am surrounded by Valencia now. I think she can sense this because she excuses herself to the kitchen to get us a glass of water.

"Scarlett," I start. She focuses her eyes on mine, "When and where is the last place you saw my sister."

"On stage. She thought I was sitting too close to you, so she told me to move. I didn't want to argue, so I scooted away. That was the beginning of the assembly. I kept my eyes forward for the rest of it, and she managed to run out before I got the chance to see her again."

I lean back in my seat and sigh. I don't know why I thought this was a good idea; I'll never solve this on my own. I must be very easy to read because Scarlett speaks up again.

"I know this is difficult. I want to help," she says. I can see she genuinely cares in her eyes. "I know things have been... strange and difficult in the past but lets put it all behind us to bring Em home. It'll be me, you and Val."

"Do you really think us three can work together to save her?" doubt rings clear in my voice and she growls.

"Yes. I do think we can. Look, I'm intimidating, right?" I nod my head, "It can be good cop and bad cop. You are good, and Val is great at reading faces and emotions. We'd be a good team."

I ponder this for a minute. "It's true." Valencia had walked in without me realizing. I whip around and see carrying three glasses of water. "I'm also very quiet."

"I see that," I spin back around and look at Scarlett, "do you really think we can do this?" she nods quickly. I sigh and open my mouth. "Then let's do it."

She jumps up, squealing. "This is great! Let's meet back in my room tonight at 6pm, sharp. Wear all black and be ready to be stealthy." she bounces off, leaving Val and I alone.

My eyes can't seem to leave hers. She sets down the glasses and steps over to me. Our noses are about a centimeter apart. Up close, I can see a few freckles sprinkled across her face, not nearly as visible as Scarlett's. I get the urge to kiss all of them. I don't; I stay put, staring and watching. I breath mingles together in front of us. She blinks first and I grin, she curls her lip as she reaches forward and slowly intertwines our fingers. She rests the softly against our legs. My gaze drops to our interlaced hands as I feel a swell of happiness for the first time in 24 hours.

She turns to walk away, hand still together before she glances back at me. I shoot her a wink as she blushes and scurries off. I stand there, smiling, as I see her pigtails fly around the corner with her. I sigh. This is what everyone means. I finally get it. Why Ember didn't want to leave Harley in the forest that day. My stomach does a 360. Harley. The forest. My head snaps sideways, casting my eyes towards the window.

Harley should've been my first suspect, so why didn't I think of him? Where was he during the assembly? My mind repeats the entirety of the ceremony. No. He wasn't there. My legs carry me back to my room. My head aches from everything happening. I collapse onto my bed as I feel myself drift into a restless sleep.

-_-_-_-_-

Wake up. My body shakes awake as I jump. I look around my room but no one is around. I shiver. My eyes glance at the time. 5:58 flashes in bold red letters as I ease back on my soft pillows. Just as I begin to doze off, my eyes shoot open as I remember where I'm supposed to be. My body flies off the bed, and into the closet where I grab the first dark clothing items my hands land on as I speed at my door. My watch counts down the seconds. 5:59. I sprint through the hallways, that are surprisingly dead, dodging coffee tables and decorations.

I slide past Scarlett's door, causing me to slam against the wall. I yelp, but pull myself back up and rush into her room, flinging the door open to see her own alarm clock flash to 6:00pm, on the dot.

"Wow," Scarlett breathes. She nods her approval at me. I smirk.

"Wasn't even worried about it. Took my time, went for a stroll," I nonchalantly walk to her bed and throw myself down.

"Okay then," Valencia chuckles at me, another glint of playfulness in her eyes. "I could've sworn I heard running, and a crash down the hall."

"That's strange," I shrug it off. Scarlett huffs.

"If we're going to do this right; I'm going to need for you two to stop flirting every five seconds, okay?" Scarlett snaps at us. Valencia turns red, but not from anger; embarrassment. If it was anyone else, I would've fought back, but I can tell that Val doesn't want confrontation. "I think we should check out the assembly hall."

"I agree, but I'm not sure why we had to wait until dark?" I say. Scarlett lets out another frustrated growl.

"Obviously so no one sees us? It's the most safe that way," she explains. Val doesn't say a word.

"Fine, if that's what you want," I put my hands up in defeat. Scarlett gives a triumphant smile. We all stand up to leave when we hear her door slam open. Axel.

"I saw you running, and saw you crash and I wanted to make sure you're okay," he says, looking directly at me. Both Scarlett and Valencia lose it and start cracking up. I stalk past them and shove Axel out of the way. He protests as they walk past him as well. He follows all the way outside.

"Look, I get that your best friend is gone, but let the adults deal with it," Scarlett raises her hand in front of his face. He frowns, hurt.

"Then I should have the right to help look for her," he finally speaks up as she was turning away. She turns on her heel towards him again. "This isn't some game."

"What?" flames of anger dance in her eyes at the brown haired boy. He doesn't back down.

"I said it wasn't just some game," flames of his own burn in his eyes, "I deserve the right to look for her. I'm a master tracker as well."

"Okay," she growls, "but you have to do whatever I tell you." she presses her finger against his chest and marches towards the assembly hall. He turns to me with a huge grin. I return it.

-_-_-_-_-

Author's Note:

HIIIIII

I hope you all are having a good day! Honestly, I think Scarlett is a new favorite of mine. Her character is so interesting to me for some reason. IDK. It's a lot of fun to write with her in the scenes.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

ILYSM

~Galaxy Potato <<<<<<<333333333