Ch 26: Her

I had left Ember's room after thinking for several more miserable minutes. I should start investigating, searching, looking. I know that I won't forgive myself if I don't do everything in my power to help find her. My first person of interest would be Axel, considering they're best friends.

I make my way down the long hallway to his room. He lived in the first pack house as well, soon after Ember had befriended him. Remi had always lived there, but I cannot recall why. My hands form a fist as I knock lightly on his door. There is no answer, so I knock firmer. I pause, hearing nothing. I shove on the door, hand on the knob as I twist. It's locked. Frustrated, I kick the door, just has my foot is lifted and flying towards the familiar oak, it flies open and my foot meets something foreign. Uh oh.

Axel immediately crumples to the floor in the fetal position. "Oh my, holy mother of-" he cries out. I bite my lip to hide back a laugh.

"I didn't mean to do that," I say quickly, chuckle hidden in my voice. He lifts his face, forcing a glare but is overcome with intense pain.

"Just give me a minute," he squeaks out. I step over his curled up body and to his bed, where I quietly sit. Another minute passes before he lets out a wheeze as he pulls himself up. He leans against the door frame, red faced.

"Sorry about that," I apologize, rubbing the back of my neck. He pulls over his desk chair. He parks it directly in front of me before dropping himself carefully into the seat.

"What can I help you with?" and with that, he's back to the normal Axel; calm and in control. Or, that's at least what I see, but I have a feeling that's just a mask.

"Ember is missing," I start. He nods his head, aware, "and I thought I could start, um, investigating? You seemed like the first person to check with." Axel nods again, and agrees to answer my questions. "When and where was the last place you saw Ember?"

"Well," he chuckles nervously, "I was waiting for her outside the assembly hall. I had run off to our meeting spot- the old treehouse. And for a few minutes, she was following me. I guess somewhere along the way she stopped- or was stopped I guess."

"And what were you guys doing at the treehouse? Why did you have to meet there?"

"Just some friends, y'know," he is clearly nervous and isn't telling the whole truth. I narrow my eyes at him as he deflates, defeated. His eyes darken a bit. "We did something we shouldn't have."

"What?" I press. I needed to know. Before Axel can open his mouth, another figure barges into the room. My eyes snap forward at who it is. "Dad?"

"Alpha! Hi, I was just talking with Everest," he quickly stands up, tripping over his own feet. He flies, face first, into the tan-tinted carpeting. I don't hide back my chuckle as he jumps up half a second later, visibly sweating. Blood starts to pour from his nose. My dad raises an eyebrow at him as Axel stands still, blood dripping down his face.

"Your nose," my dad points out as Axel's fingers shoot up, feeling the downpour.

"Oh my goodness! I didn't even notice. Well, it was nice seeing you, Alpha," he says in a single breath as he speeds past my dad. He looks back at me with a concerned look. I shrug my shoulders.

"So, anyway, the service is today," my dad states casually. My eyes widen.

"She's not dead. We can't have a service for someone who isn't even-"

"Everest. I meant your service. Today is the day you go into the real world," my dad shakes his head at me, fingers resting on his temple. My heart rate returns to normal.

"Oh. Oh," I say. I've always dreamed of this, but can I really go right now? My parents need me. I can see the lack of sleep gathering under his eyes to form dark circles. I shake my head; I can't abandon them now. "I can't go. Not yet."