Ch 21: Memory Lane

Laying in bed next to Axel as he sleeps is a feeling that I never thought I'd ever experience. My eyes wander over to him and I hold back a sigh. The moonlight is perfectly reflecting off his bare chest. I lean back and smile with content. The smile soon leaves my face as Harley's enters my mind. My heart rate increases as I think about everything that's just happened. Harley is going to hate me. I can barely feel my wolf. However, she doesn't seem too upset as I would've expected. She almost seems at peace.

I feel Axel stir next to me as he flips over, facing me now. His heated gaze concentrates on me as I pretend to sleep. I don't want him knowing I'm awake.

"God, you're beautiful," he murmurs, placing a kiss on my collarbone before rolling away and falling asleep again. A smile raises on my face again. I'm not sure how I'll ever explain this to Harley, but all I know is that I'm happy.

I glance over at the alarm clock on his night stand. It blinks in red font 3:23am. It's officially Moon Day. I better go back to my room before my parents try to wake me up in the morning, only to realise I've just slept with my best friend. Reluctantly, I roll out of the bed and start picking up my clothes. Luckily, they're in a pile next to the bed so it doesn't take me too long to find them. I hear Axel roll over, probably wondering what I'm doing.

"Ember? Where are you going?" he asks, voice thick with sleep. Even his tired voice is affecting me now. When did my feelings all change?

"I have to get back to my room, before my parents try to wake me up for the celebrations," I quietly explain while I pull my shirt over my head. He glances at the clock and groans.

"It's only 3. Please stay just a little longer," he pats the spot where I was previously sleeping. I bite my lip, thinking. His eyes widen, almost begging me to stay.

"Five more minutes, and that's it,"I sigh, finally giving in. "But, we need to talk. Not now, but later. I think I need to clear my head."

He nods his head. I climb into the bed next to him as he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me close. I feel his hot breath in my tangled hair. I try to stop myself from dozing off again, but it's impossible to fight the urge. I just feel so comfortable in his arms.

-_-_-_-_-

"Ember. Wake up," I hear a familiar voice, calling to me. Suddenly, hands are on my side shaking me. "We slept way past five minutes." Everything comes flooding back to me as I realise who's voice and hands it belongs to. Axel. I jolt up and look around.

"What time is it?" I ask worriedly. He glances past me, checking the clock.

"7:24," he says, jumping out of bed and pulling his clothes back on. I tumble out of the bed and into the bathroom, cursing. My parents are supposed to wake me up at 7:30. I look at myself in the mirror and sigh. I wasn't wearing much makeup so nothing is smeared but I look like I didn't sleep very much.

I exit the bathroom and over to Axel.

"Meet me back in my room at 8. Okay?" I start to turn away when I wonder whether or not I should kiss him goodbye. Instead of answering for myself, Axel does. He grips my waist and spins me around. He looks at me briefly before leaning down and softly kissing my lips. I kiss him back before pulling away, shaking my head. "You're distracting me. I have to go."

"Okay. 8am. I'll be there," he says as he grabs a towel and walks into his bathroom, waving me goodbye. I sprint out of there as quickly as I can and into my room again.
I quietly shut the door behind me and dive into my bed. Less than 2 minutes later, I hear a knock on my door. I check the time and it's exactly 7:30. I made it.

"Ember, honey. Time to wake up," I hear my mother call through the door, before pushing it open.

"Good morning, mom," I force a yawn, sitting up in bed.