Ch 28: Home Videos

Outside the assembly hall, we start searching. We all split up and cover every inch around the building. Nothing suspicious turns up. We gather back in front of the doors.

"Anything?" I ask, my voice full of hope. Nobody meets my eyes. I drop my own eyes to the ground and sigh.

"I'm sorry," Scarlett speaks up first. I shake my head, "we really tried."

"I understand," I whisper. I hear foot steps shuffle away from me. They're giving up; leaving.

"Wait," Valencia calls out, resting a hand on my shoulder. They all turn and look at her. I can see the hope in their eyes. "Do you think they have any security cameras?" her face turns pink with both excitement and nerves. Scarlett rolls her eyes.

"I think we would've noticed a giant-"

"Oh my gosh you guys," Axel calls out, cutting Scarlett out. We all run towards him. His hand stays pointing up, towards a large tree. There, a camera rests, facing the forest. I drop to my knees and yell. Scarlett hops up into the tree and pulls it down.

"I can hack into it," she says quietly. I raise an eyebrow. "It seems like a pretty basic camera, if I can get the SD card out, we can access the information easily."

"You're a computer geek?" I tease. She turns pink and bites her lip.

"I wouldn't say that," she looks down. I feel bad instantly.

"That's amazing, Scar. Seriously," I say, pulling myself to my feet in front of her. She covers her grin with a scowl, but it was there. At least when all of this is over, I'll have a friend.

"So what are we waiting for then?" Val exclaims with excitement. I cant help but grin at her enthusiasm.

"Slight problem guys," Scarlett says, "I don't have an SD card port on my computer. I think we may have to go through another way. If this is really a normal camera, the data should be updated every few hours to the main computer, so where do we think the data would be updated?"

We sit in silence, thinking. Axel is the first to speak up.

"Maybe the Alpha's office? I know he has a computer there," he proclaims. I frown.

"You want to break into my dad's office?" I all but growl at him. He shrinks away.

"You're right, we probably shouldn't," he gnaws on his top lip, his perfectly white teeth showing.

"We need this, Everest. This may be a matter of life and death!" Scarlett shakes my shoulders. I slink away from her grip.

"Fine, but I'm not happy about it," my frown slowly fades as I look at the group around me. They all whoop and cheer as we make our way back to pack house one.

They grow quieter as we grow closer. Eventually, we reach the hallway outside his office. Axel asks the girls for a bobby pin, and they both outstretch their hands, holding several each. Axel plucks one from Val's hand. They replace the missing bobby pins as I watch them carefully.  

Within seconds, he successfully jiggles the door open. He pumps his fist into the air, whispering "yes!". We file into the large office and gather around the computer. Scarlett quickly drops into the chair and cracks her knuckles.

"The hardest part is probably the password," she swivels around and looks at me, "any ideas?" I search my mind before thinking of one.

"Try something narcissistic, he's so full of himself," I suggest. She ponders for a second before nodding her head. She types in a few characters before "welcome" appears brightly on the screen.

"That was insane!" Axel exclaims, "but what was it?"

"Like I'd tell you the Alpha's password," she scoffs. I lean down as she whispers it into my ear. "iamnumber1". I chuckle out loud. Axel huffs.

The mouse scrolls over several folders before clicking a random one. They are all unlabelled. Pictures flash to the screen, causing all of us to shout and cover our eyes. My hands shake as my eyes feel like they're bleeding.

"Who keeps their private pictures on their desktop?" I cry out, falling onto the nearby couch. "I'm going to need years of therapy!"

Val chuckles as I continue to cry. Scarlett quickly closes the tab and shrugs it off, focusing on the mission. She clicks on a few more folders, wincing every time, but relaxing when it's safe. She softly gasps and whispers my name after clicking on a folder. I sit up and take a peek. There's the video!

Everyone quietly crowds around the computer again as she drags the video bar. It stops seconds before she exits the building. I see Axel sprinting away, as she stares after him, preparing to run. Harley stops her, but we can't tell what they're saying. Suddenly, it jumps to 3 minutes later, and they're no where to be seen. She rewinds the video, to see if it lagged, but no. The video clip is gone. I sag down. Everyone stays quiet for a few beats before Val speaks up.

"If the video was clipped, do you think the remaining few minutes is in the trash can?" her voice is full of hope. Scarlett quickly straightens up and minimizes the video. The mouse hovers over the trash can as she slowly clicks it open. A video clip lasting only 3 minutes and 24 seconds sits in the trash. We all hold our breath as she clicks the video.

A man appears behind Ember. He wraps his arms around her and places a rag over her mouth and nose. I almost reach forward and punch the screen as if I'm hurting him. Val squeezes my hand fiercely as we watch the screen. We watch as the man carries her gently around to the back of the building. Harley follows them closely behind, throwing glances over his shoulder periodically. The video ends and we sit in silence again.

"What are we going to do now?" Scarlett breathes. I glance around at everyone. I can see the pain on Axel's face.

"We're going to find her."

-_-_-_-_-

Author's Note:

Thank you guys soo much for reading this new chapter! It took me so long to write it because the WHOLE THING WAS DELETED, and I had to restart.

I'm talking to a guy that I've got a little thing for so life is good :)

I hope your day is going well y'all!

Don't forget to vote & comment!

ILYSM <<<<<333333

~Galaxy Potato