Just Friends?

I deeply apologize for how long it has taken me to update. Most of you probably read my last chapter and know why it did, so I hope that explains it a bit.

Anyway, this oneshot is kind of based on the request by MYSLUTS, or it originally started out as what they had requested, but I am not sure it completely works for what you wanted, so I am probably going to do another oneshot just for protective!Harry like you had in mind :)

Please leave me any thoughts and feedback you have xx

For as long as anyone could remember, Harry and Louis had been best friends. They had met on the first day of kindergarten, and been practically inseparable since.

 Harry and Louis had an odd friendship, one could say. They shared a rather large group of friends, but the two of them was undoubtedly the closest out of all of them. Wherever Harry was, you could always count on Louis not being too far, and this went both ways. They weren't strangers to affection, and it wasn't a rare occurrence for them to be seen with their arms wrapped around the other. This was such a noticeable amount of times, that it didn't take much more before people began to inquire if something was going on between them. 

However, despite the fact that even the majority of their friends and family thought otherwise, they were quick to assure everyone they were just friends. 

The only time anyone could remember Louis and Harry not being near each other for an extended period of time, was back in junior year of high school. A new boy had joined their friend group- Jake- and he took a great liking to Louis, much to Harry's distaste.

"Hey, Lou," Jake plopped down at the table next to Louis, not taking notice or caring about the fact he had interrupted a story Harry was in the middle of telling. 

"Hi, Jake," Louis smiled kindly before turning his attention back to Harry, gesturing for him to continue whatever it was he had been saying. 

Yet, just as he opened his mouth to speak, Jake happened to beat him to it, "Did you hear about the party this weekend, Louis? I was wondering if you wanted to go with me and a group of other guys."

"Um," Louis raised his eyebrows. "No, I don't think so. I already have plans with Harry, I'm sorry."

Harry's smug look didn't last long, as Jake then said, "But you always spend time with him! What about me? I'm sure he can spare you one night away." 

Harry couldn't help himself from adding, "Well, Louis, I'm your best friend, am I right?" His voice was teasing and playful, but he meant the words as a warning.

Not noticing the intentions, Louis chuckled, and as Harry draped his leg over Louis' under the table, he allowed himself to forget Jake for that small moment. 

This went on for the span of a month, with Jake consistently fighting Harry for Louis' attention- and when he didn't get it (which he rarely did), he would only strike back harder. 

It was ridiculous, in Harry's opinion. He didn't mind Louis making new friends, and he understood that his best mate was extremely likable (boy, did he know) but he still couldn't help but feel slightly possessive over Louis. 

And this was extremely stupid, as Louis was his best friend. He had been since kindergarten, and it wasn't like Louis was going to let some new student at school ruin this. Bst friends weren't supposed to be possessive over the other, that was just silly. 

(Although if Harry as being completely honest and open with himself he knew his feelings ran a bit deeper than best friends).

It was a few weeks later when it all took a turn for the worse.