Part 10 - Emil's return

A few weeks later ...

Ellie's point of view ...

Rory had just left my apartment. We had scheduled dinner,but had to cut it short since he had an emergency. I picked up the plates off of the table and placed them in the sink.

Pouring in some dish soap,I opened the tap and started to wash the dishes. Having an open plan apartment, I left the large window in the living room open for some fresh air.

The light breeze sweeps through the room,gently moving the curtains from side to side. I started to hum softly to myself as I washed each dish.

The fabric of the curtains rubbed together,but I hear a faint noise. Must be my imagination. I continued humming until the noise sounded through the room again. I go silent.

Suddenly I feel a warm tingling feeling at the back of my neck like someone's breath. My eyes widen as I nearly drop the plate in my hand.

"I'm sorry," a whisper followed into my ear canal.

I instantly recognized the voice and spin around, backing myself into a corner. It is Emil and,boy,does he look different.

"E-emil," I stutter,clutching the plate to my chest.

He had grown much taller than last I saw him. His nearly six foot frame is somewhat intimidating. His hair seems blacker than it was,a part of it hanging over his left eye. Even his wings had changed,they appear golden in color embroidered with white.

"I missed you," he spoke softly with a slight smile.

"I - it's been so - uh long," I felt like a helpless mouse trapped by a large hungry cat.

Emil's point of view ...

Ellie seems nervous. I wonder why? She changed a lot since I last saw her,two years ago. Her hair is much longer,hanging over her shoulders. Chuckles. She is still short,well shorter. Her eyes are still as radiant as ever. And her ...

"Emil," I distantly hear her voice,"Emil,you okay?"

I bring my eyes back up to hers and away from her chest,"uh,yeah I'm fine."

"What are you doing here?" She asks putting the plate down.

"I came back,for you," I replied a little direct.

"For me?"

"Yes,I missed you so much and I'm still your guardian angel," I try to explain.

"Oh,I understand," she replied turning away from me.

Was it something I said? She's not still mad at me,is she? I walked up to her and hug her from behind. It was all I could do,but I didn't know how she would react.

Ellie's point of view ...

Suddenly I feel his arms wrap around my waist and his head resting in the back of my neck. He pulled me in closer to him,his chest pressing against my back.

"Please,say something," he speaks behind me.

"What would you like me to say?" I asked,cold.

"Anything."

All those hurtful things I've done came flooding back into the chambers of my heart. But he wasn't innocent. It was his fault,because he hurt me. Betrayed my trust and my love. Yet,I feel sorry for him.

"I have nothing to say to you," I said not being able to look him in the eye.

He let go of my waist and turned me to face him. Going down on his knees,his wings disappear. Emil hugged me again,burying his head into my clothes and against my stomach.

"I'm sorry for everything," he mumbles.

I bring my hands up to cover my face before the tears start flowing.

The wave of painful emotions crashed over my heart with a broken wave

The wave of painful emotions crashed over my heart with a broken wave. Everything I thought I got out of my system came flowing back. I was right back where I started.

"I forgive you," I said softly,removing my hands from my eyes.

"Thank you," he mumbles, clinging to me.

The following day ...

I went to work,distraught. I barely slept last night and my head was spinning. Everywhere I look,I see Emil's face and his words continue to haunt me.

I had no idea how I was going to survive this twelve hour shift,but I had to. Luckily my patients kept me distracted,mostly.

When Rory showed up,I ran to him and lunged myself straight into his arms. He seemed surprised, but he was the only comfort I had.

Rory's point of view ...

I gently wrap my arms around her and hold her into a tight hug. She started to cry,her tears being absorbed by my clothes. I didn't know why she was so upset,until she pulled me into a closet.

"Ellie?" I asked looking down at her.

"He's back," was all she could get out.

"Emil?" I frown under my glasses.

"Yes,and he asked me to forgive him and -- and I did,but I feel awful. All those horrible memories came back," she whimpered loud.

"Hey,I got you," I dry her tears with my sleeve and hug her again.

I hate seeing her like this,so sad. She had been smiling for two years and that smile never faltered, not once. But there is not much I can do. She is stubborn and prefers dealing with everything on her own.

"Thank you,Rory." She offers me a smile and then she does something unexpected.

She pulled me closer by my tie and plants a firm kiss on my cheek. I could feel my cheeks burning up with embarrassment.

"Ellie .." I felt my heartbeat faster in my chest.

"Thank you for everything, Rory."

Little did I know what her kiss would evoke and what consequences we would all face