Part 22 - Confessions

Rory's point of view.

Two days later ...

I sat in the taxi cab for about ten minutes,in front of the Japanese styled house,before finally mustering up enough courage to get out.

It happens to be a cloudy day,gray clouds hanging in the sky as the light smell of rain fills the air. I turn my head watching the taxi cab drive off down the quiet street.

I take in a deep breath and put my hand to my chest,feeling my doubled heartbeat untamed in my chest.

"Ellie ..." I mutter to myself,clenching a fist.

Walking up the paved walked way and up her door,I knock lightly before stepping back and waiting.

After a few agonizing moments of waiting the door finally opens.

Ellie's face is expressionless as she blankly stares at me clinching to the door. A sudden chill slithers down my spine seeing such a cold look in her eyes.

"What are you doing here Rory?" She asks callous.

"What do you think Ellie?" I answer as timid as possible.

"This isn't happening. I left you,Emil and everything behind!" She tries to shut the door,but I stop her.

"No wait,please Ellie. I just want to talk to you," I push open the door.

"About what? About the accident!? Or about the correctional facility!? Take your pick," she yells angry.

"You know what. You are such a kind person and I'm not saying you're self absorbed but for this moment stop thinking about yourself!" I snap back furious.

Ellie's point of view.

He's right I am only thinking about myself. But I can't help it. Nobody ever stood up for me. Fought for me. Now that I'm defending myself,I'm the bad guy?

"You know what? I'm not in the mood for this. Go home," I scoff.

"I'm not going anywhere until we've talked this out," he forces himself through the open door and into my house.

"There's nothing to talk about Rory!" I nearly yell at him.

"Yes,there is. Why do you think I am here Ellie," he lowers his voice tone.

"I honestly don't care," I reply snide,"besides you should go back to your girlfriend! "

"Girlfriend? What girlfriend?"

"The one that sat in your car at the facility one day. No woman's eyes light up the way hers did when she saw you."

"Agh! She's not my girlfriend. Emily was the only person I could talk to because you became someone I didn't know," he retorts.

I forgot the golden rule. Never make assumptions because they are the mother of all screw ups.

I hung my head with a sigh remaining silent. And yet his question still hammers at my thoughts. Why was he here?

"Ellie," he suddenly holds me by my shoulders, "I'm here because of that unspoken thing."

"What unspoken thing?" I inquire.

"That thing that we both have been hiding deep down and tried to get rid of but never succeeded," he explains calm.

"I don't know what you're talking about Rory," I turn my head to avoid his focused gaze behind his glasses.