Invitations

A few days back in Vegas, after our investigation at the Orie Saloon and Brothel, I get contacted by a man who asks for a favor.

I accept the favor, and I can hear the smile in the man's voice as he says thank you and hangs up.

Zak looks up at me from his phone, which he was playing on on the other end of the couch.

I shrug and say,"A school wants me to do a presentation. I'm going this Monday."

Zak nods, then turns back to his phone. I can see the reflection of him writing emails in his glasses.

"So how are the invitations going?" I ask as I slide closer to Zak, reading what he's writing.

"Good. Got about half of them out so far. Working on the other half. You know, if you hadn't decided to make this date so early, then this would be a lot less hectic," Zak says.

I look over at him, and see him smile.

I laugh as I kiss him, then I slide back over to my side of the couch, propping my feet up on Zak's lap. He simply raises his arms and lays them back down on my legs, not even looking up from his screen.

Redwood, Zak and my's red-black dog, prances into the room, her claws clacking on the floor. Gracie, our black-and-white dog, walks in after her friend, and is just as happy.

Zak reaches his hand over the couch arm, and Gracie rubs her head under it. Redwood walks around and lays her head on my stomach, making me laugh.

Then, I hear Zak's phone ring. He looks down at it, then answers it, sighing. By the reflection in his glasses, he was just finishing an email.

"What do you need, Aaron? Saira and I still have invitations to write," Zak says.

I hear Aaron talking on the other end of the phone, but I can't understand him.

Zak smiles, showing off his white teeth. "Alright, bro. Sounds good. See you in a bit."

I give Zak a confused look when he hangs up, but he simply smiles slyly and continues sending out emails.

I roll my eyes, but still grab my laptop to design some place cards, invitations, and whatever else weddings have. 

Zak gets up and leaves sometime later, Gracie and Redwood's eyes following him out the door.

I continue working, though my mind is a million miles away, planning this school visit I'm supposed to speak at.

The idea forming in my head is something Zak wouldn't like. Hell, I don't even like it.

But it might just work.

It might just get a message across.

It might just save more lives.

AN: Hello again, guys! A fourth book in the making! This is going to be a little longer than my other three, but a lot more heartfelt and soulful. Great job on making 1K views guys!