Mirror of Fog

I hate boring lockdowns.

Literally nothing has happened for hours. No sounds, voices, or anomalies. We've all been split up numerous times, trying to antagonize the spirits. To no avail.

Right now, I'm in the bathroom with Zak, trying to do an EVP.

I can't sense nor see any spirits, and Zak is the same. Luke's presence left that morning, after he had communicated with Zak. We're trying to find Diana or Jacob, but so far neither of them have come through.

Then, Zak suggests that we turn the shower on and let the mirror fog up. I agree, and reach over behind the curtain to flip the faucet.

Now, we wait, trying to contain our impatience.

I grab the spirit box from my hoodie pocket and hand it to Zak, keeping my eyes and camera on the mirror.

Zak takes it, and turns it on, allowing static to fill the small room like the steam.

I watch the mirror and Zak, and I find myself thinking that this mirror of fog looks a little like a portal to another dimension.

Shut up, writer brain, I think to myself. Such an annoying thing.

"Are Diana or Jacob in this house still?" Zak asks, startling me out of my thoughts. The spirit box keeps quiet.

Zak asks a few more questions, then looks at me over his shoulder. I shake my head, and I see his chest move in a soundless sigh.

Just as he's reaching to turn the device off, a voice speaks, saying,"Don't."

Zak almost leaps out of his skin, and I'm a step behind. We exchange excited looks, but can't ask any questions before the same voice says,"Gone."

"Gone where?" Zak asks, and the spirit box crackles for a bit before the voice says,"Pretty girl."

I step forward, and Zak shoots me a look. I look around the room with my eyes, and, not seeing anything, shake my head at Zak.

He nods, then turns back to the spirit box. "Are Diana and Jacob still here?" Once more, the device gives only static, but then says,"No. Gone. Sky."

"They've gone to Heaven, then," Zak says, looking relieved. I smile as well, feeling hope for the unrightfully murdered couple.

I sense a male presence behind me, but don't turn around as I say,"Zak, there's someone behind me. I can feel it."

Zak turns towards me, lifting his camera as he does. I see him stiffen, and feel my muscles tense up in response.

After a few moments, Zak says,"There was a large shadow behind you. I believe I caught it on camera."

The spirit box, still on, says,"Take off your clothes," really clearly at this moment.

Zak and I look down at the device in confusion and astonishment. It says no more, however, even after we ask it numerous questions.

The male presence leaves as the spirit box spouts static. I tell Zak this, and he seems to be happy about it.

The trouble starts when we arrive at nerve center, though. Aaron was apparently watching the camera in that bedroom, and had heard what was said by us and the spirit.

"So you're not going to take off your clothes for the spirits? Not even a little? It might gain us some evidence," he says as Zak and I roll our eyes at him.

"Evidence that Saira is a badass, maybe. Because after she does that, she's chasing you down and punching you," Billy says. Everyone laughs, even me.

The rest of the investigation, nothing exciting happens. I can tell that Aaron wants to make more jokes, but thankfully he waits until we're back at the hotel before cracking them.

That morning, I make a decision. A decision that could put me in a bad light for Zak's family.

But it's a light I'm willing to bask in, so long as it gets the message I want across.