Lucifer's Child

Saira's POV

The lockdown that night has an air of unease over it as we walk up to nerve, which is in one of the old cabins at the retreat.

Zak goes over the plan, then we split up, going in separate directions.

Zak and I head to the pool where a nun supposedly drowned her newborn baby because she thought it was unholy. Aaron and Billy are in the main building, where a dominant male spirit is said to reside.

I film Zak as he steps into the pool. The cool night air is tickling my neck, but I keep still as Zak starts to speak.

"Are you still here, the nun who drowned her baby in this pool?... Are you the one causing all the people to come up here?... Did you cause the three girls' deaths in the river?..."

I scan the trees and the buildings around us with my eyes, though all I see is pure blackness. No moon is out tonight, so there is no hope for natural light.

Zak asks more questions, but I tune him out, turning my face towards the forest. A pair of eyes glare back at me, as red and glowing as coals.

Zak glances back at me when he notices that I haven't joined him in the pool to hear the EVP recorder playback. He glances to where I'm looking, and asks,"Saira. What do you see?"

I shake my head, and answer while still looking into the red eyes,"I think a demon. It has red eyes. But no body. Not that I can see. It's staring at me. Not speaking, just staring. Like it's waiting for something."

Zak walks up behind me, and I see him pan his camera to where I'm looking. "Saira, whatever you're seeing isn't showing up the camera. Are you sure it's a demon? Have you tried talking to it?"

I shake my head, then reach out my consciousness to wrap around the demon's.

Blankness. That's the first thing I feel when I touch its mind.

The second thing is a tingling in my body, lile a slight electric pulse is getting sent along my spine.

Then, it talks, speaking in the language of demons and fire.

"You taunt Death by coming here, Saira Collings. This is a hallow ground. No ground for a murderer to walk on."

Says you, I snarl back it in my mind, since speaking aloud would be strange. I've learned that not everyone believes that I can see and speak to spirits, so they think I talk to air for show.

Demons are bred murderers. And besides, I'm not the first killer to walk across this ground.

The demon blinks, then says,"No, you're not. But you are one of the most prominent. Your arrival has stirred up old memories. Your own and others'.

"Be prepared for hell tonight, Saira Collings. One spirit wishes for your death above all others. Beware. Your God and my Master will not be happy if you die before your time."

With that cryptic warning, the demon's eyes disappear, and I'm left feeling emptier than I have in ages.

"Just a warning. A meaningless one that I've heard several times," I say to Zak, who nods, a frown on his face.

Then, a scream splits the air like a knife. Zak and I turn as one towards the main house, just as Aaron's voice crackles through our walkie talkies.

"Zak. Saira. Where are you?" Zak unclips his walkie from his belt, and holds it to his mouth as he pushes the button to reply.

"We're at the pool. Saira just saw a demon. Where are you? Do you need help?"

Aaron's voice crackles again, and says,"A demon? That sounds like what's going on here. You two might want to get up to the house. Serious shit's going on right now. We could use Saira's eyes."