1-800-273-8255

Random Student's POV

We all shuffle into the gym, all of us grumbling about another assembly. Even though the teachers said that this one was special, we all knew it wasn't.

As soon as all of us are seated, music starts playing. 

The first few words floor me. 

"I been on a low. Been taken' my time. I feel like I'm outta my mind. I feel like my life ain't mine."

The entire school quiets down to listen to the words of one of the most heart-wrenching songs ever written. 

I can see several people mouthing the words, though no one dares to sing along. I have no clue why, but this song seems to be more important to today's lecture than any other.

Silence permits the air in the gym, all except for the words.

"It's the very first breath when your head's been drownin' underwater. It's the lightness that's in the air when you're there chest to chest with a lover. It's holding on, though the road's long. And seeing light in the darkest things. And when you stare at your reflection. Finally knowing who it is. I know that you'll thank God you did."

I hear a kid near me sniffle, though a look around shows no one with tears on their cheeks. I turn back forward, and concentrate on not tearing up by the words that strike a little too close to home.

"It can be hard. It can be so hard. But you gotta live right now. You got everything to give right now. I've been on the low. I been taking my time. I feel like I'm out of my mind. It feel like my life ain't mine."

Now, I see teachers sniffling and wiping at their eyes. And I know for a fact that this song hits a little close to home for some of them as well. 

"Pain don't hurt the same, I know. The lane I travel feels alone. But I'm moving 'til my legs give out. And I see my tears melt in the snow. But I don't wanna cry. I don't wanna cry anymore. I wanna feel alive, I don't even wanna die anymore. Oh I don't wanna. I don't wanna. I don't even wanna die anymore."

As soon as the song ends, you can hear all the tears being wiped away throughout the gym. It takes a lot of willpower to not cry during this song.

Then, suddenly, a woman walks into the gym through the doors.

I take in her form, though my gaze lingers on certain places. Like her arms and legs.

Wearing only a tank top and short shorts, the woman is astonishingly beautiful, even given the scars running up and down her pale limbs. Her long brown-black hair swings in a braid down her spine, and her green eyes pierce like arrows.

I recognize her, but I have no clue why she's here. Then, it clicks, just as she starts to speak.

"Some of you may recognize me. Some of you don't. My name is Saira Collings. I'm a paranormal investigator, and I work with the show Ghost Adventures. And, as you can clearly see, has had a troubled life," she says.

Even with no microphone, her voice carries in the silence. We all lean forward, eager to hear what this ghost hunter has to say.

"By a show of hands, how many of you got choked up or cried during that song? Don't be shy, now. Raise them up," Saira says. I feel a rush of wind as every hand in the room rises into the air.

"Good. Hands down." Another rush of wind as all the hands fall. 

"Now, by a show of hands, how many of you have been in that situation?" 

Now, a few hands rise tentatively into the air, and I see kids look around them to identify the raised hands.

"Hands down," says Saira.