Chapter 29

Jack and Rapunzel joined Hiccup and, all together, they sobbed.

Hiccup got up and walked away. Toothless followed him. They sat down on a ridge of the mountain and stared off into the distance. "Why didn't you go after her!"

"Hiccup!" Jack yelled angrily at him and left Rapunzel. "You know better than all of us that Toothless could not survive without you!"

Hiccup turned to Jack and yelled back, "And I could not survive without her!"

"Hiccup-"

"No! I could have saved her and I didn't!"

"But look at all of the other people you saved!"

Hiccup turned around to see all of their allies landing near them. They all bowed their heads slightly at them.

Jack and Hiccup slightly nodded their heads back, and for a while, nothing happened. Everything was silent. Until they heard the soft familiar words: "Flower gleam and glow."

Hiccup and Jack swung their heads to Rapunzel, who had put some of her hair on Merida. It glowed softly in the dark, making the situation feel better than it was. Hiccup and Jack came closer.

"Heal what has been hurt, change the fate's design. Save what has been lost, bring back what once was mine," She sang. "What once was mine." Rapunzel whispered the last part and nearly cried again.

Merida didn't move. Everyone's head sank.

Then, when no one was looking. Merida lit up. And before long, she was coughing.

"Merida!" Hiccup yelled and rushed to her.

"You're alive!" Jack joined Hiccup.

Rapunzel just smiled and hugged her friend. Pretty soon she was joined by Hiccup and Jack.

The crowd whooped and cheered.

Merida looked into her friends' eyes. "Aww, were ye all cryin' for mey?"

"Ha! No." Jack lied.

"He's lying," Rapunzel said. "He was balling his eyes out. We all were."

Merida looked touched, but before she could say anything, Hiccup kissed her.

Jack was about to say something, but Rapunzel clamped her hand over his mouth.

Instead of saying anything, Jack bent over and planted his lips on Rapunzel's. The four nearly forgot anyone was watching until they heard cheering.

The crowd cheered once again. The Big Four all stood up in a line and grabbed each other's hands. They raised them up for all to see. They had a triumphant victory that no one would forget. They had defeated the Mistress of All Evil.