Difference

Louise's P.O.V.

   I dislike school but I don't hate it. School, to me, was a bittersweet place for me to learn new things. Some of which I just have to stay late at night just to understand. But never did I think that I would come to the idea of quitting. Mom said that we would have private tutors while we're here in France, but some problems came up and only Hugo had his tutor. So Mom, begrudgingly, enrolled up to her old high school.

  She was about to send bodyguards, but Emma and I were able to convince her that it would be unnecessary. If we wanted to blend in, we have to act like we weren't papered royally as a baby. Though some do act like they were.

   It has been 4 days since we step foot in this school and Emma and I were still the hot topic around here. You think as a prince, I should have gotten used to the attention, but in reality, I refuse to step outside unless it is in dire need to or if I have something in my schedule that is held outdoors.

  Because honestly, being pointed at and whispered is not something anyone wants. To me, I feel like I'm in the zoo. Trapped in a cage where people look at me but can never get close to actually be friends me. They would talk to me, one even throws things at me (though it's only paper).

   I'm just thankful that Emma and I are on the same schedule. I'm really glad to have my twin in this with me. Don't get me wrong, the students here are somewhat friendly and I even made two new friends, but I'm just not really that good at expressing myself at times. That, and I'm still coming to terms with the cultural differences. And getting used to those types of questions.

'Are you Chinese or Asian?'

'How do you say my name in your language?'

'Do you eat rice with everything?'

'Let me guess your nationality...um...is it Korean?'

'What's 433 x 48?'

   Okay, 1) last time I checked, China was part of Asia. 2) it does not work that way. 3) no, I don't. 4) my mom is only half Chinese, and my dad is half English. So I really don't look like a typical Asian. 5) not all Asians are good in math!

"Lou, you okay?" David asked.

Melvin nodded, "yeah, you look stressed."

   David and Melvin. They're the two friends I mentioned earlier. We had a few things in common and I sometimes hang with them but not much since Emma still hasn't made a friend yet. She said she doesn't want to get to attached.

I faked a smile. "Yeah, just thinking about all the things I have to do when I get back."

Not a total lie. There were times I did think about my princely duties and how much the piles had stacked up since I left. The mere thought makes me want to cry.

Melvin raised an eyebrow, "oh? Like what? When I went over at your aunt's place for our video game battle, there were maids and even a butler. So it can't be chores."

   Shoot! I forgot they went over. I can't even say school projects since the teachers gave Emma and me a grace period by not giving us projects they assigned the students. For now.

"Well, I actually was thinking about home. Like in China. I have a heavy load ahead of me when I return."

More so than it was when I left.

"Why? What do you have to do?"

   Melvin, please don't ask more questions. Thankfully, David seemed to have sensed my nervousness to answer since he immediately changes the subject. Melvin hated not knowing but he was so easy to distract.

"Louise."

   I turned to see Emma running at me. She heaved as she tried to catch her breath in front of me. I grabbed her arm and gave her my chocolate drink. Which is immediately grabbed out of my hands.

"Emma what is it?"

"Mom thinks they found a lead on Lila." My twin said in Mandarin.

My eyes widened, "really? That's great!"

She nodded, "but."

Of course.

"But we still have to stay here a bit more longer. Louise I can't take this anymore! I want to go home." Emma said looking at the ground.

A cough came behind me and I suddenly remembered that we had an audience. Melvin and David seemed curious on our conversation but didn't comment. I pat Emma and the back.

"Sorry, I have to take Emma home. She's not feeling well. Can you inform the teacher?"

David scratched the back of his neck, "you're going to have to inform the principal that your leaving the school premises and she can't leave without the school nurse approval."

Right. Different country.

I grabbed my phone and called Aunt Alya. She could get Emma out. And by the looks of it, Emma needs to rest. She hasn't been taking good care of herself since we left home. Maybe a day off will do her good.