Avarice

Third Person POV

No one was certain of when the first aspiration of absolute control trickled through the contours of Peter's guarded mind, but once it had, his hunger for it became insatiable. He decided at that very moment that he would stop at nothing to attain total sovereignty over the land and all that inhabited it.

He ventured beyond the borders of the island, journeying to the outer world to lure those that were just like him to his haven. Using his pan flute to single out the neglected, he led them all back to the island.

To ensure that those that entered would not return to where they hailed, Peter offered them all a drink from the island's most treasured and concealed landmark.

He promised them all freedom and fellowship, and the majority cherished the notion. Others were not so easily swayed. They formed a small group and rose up against Pan, demanding to be returned to their rightful homes.

To say Peter was angry would be criminally undermining the emotion. No, Peter was livid. How selfish and ungrateful could a person be? He had freed them all from being slaves to isolation and abandonment. Rescued them from being overlooked and deemed unimportant.

This was supposed to be their gratitude for all that he had done?

"Fine. Go. Return to your homes where you are ignored and unloved and outright overlooked. Just know that if you leave, Neverland will not be awaiting your return." Peter proclaimed stoically. He stared right through each and every boy, including the ones who wished to stay.

No one challenged him. Who would want to risk leaving their refuge with no chance of return? Perhaps Pan was right.

As months turned into years, and years into decades, Pan became increasingly more superior over them all as they subconsciously yielded to his transparent power and influence over both them and all of the island. There was no room for opposition. Not even a chance for contrasting opinions when it came to Pan. He had made that very clear when one boy challenged his authority.

The fate that had befallen the boy proved to the others that the fruits of compliance proved to be much more preferable than the spoils of defiance.

They became soldiers of sorts, acting on Peter's every whim. Mindless. Controlled. They were so far gone that none could even fathom that Pan had deceived them all.

The place where he had promised freedom and fellowship had caused them to feel more oppressed and alone than they ever had before they'd set foot on the sands of the island.

Before coming to Neverland, the boys were simply wandering through life, with a chance at actually living and being happy. Peter had stolen that opportunity from them all.

Before, they were merely wanderers, meandering through life, searching for love and inclusion.

Now, they were truly lost.