Chapter 9- Lost soul

Tripping under her own feet, running harder, more tirelessly than she had ever thought possible. Snow came to the outskirts of a place crammed with lights. All the lights and torches had been covered to protect their vital glow from the abundant rain. Near the edge of the woods were a few small houses. Their tiny wooden timber frames held together snugly, atop were thatched roofs.

Her head and vision now beginning to fail her, Snow stumbled around cold and disoriented. She held her arms with her hands while running them up and down to produce some friction and heat to them. Pretty soon, she started to walk around side streets where the buildings became higher and their roofs more pointed. Some assistance would have been appreciated but Snow knew she had to keep hidden. Searching for a safe place in an unknown town was absurd as her anxiousness clouded her better judgment. Hastily, she began to dart in and out of the dark alleyways, checking behind her every step she took. Scared, confused and alone she let out a faint cry of desperation. The cold reaching her bones made Snow shiver as the rain showed no signs of stopping.

Quasi rested his book back down on the table, he then gave a confusing sigh then rubbed his hands down his face.

"...I can't surely question master?...everything he had done and does is for good...after all he has done for me I couldn't possible underestimate or question all his other pursuits. No!!...I'm being ridiculous!...but this book had told me so much and yet...nothing at all! All gypsies cannot be evil! They can't all be the reason for the wrongdoing that the world has! And what about the world? How nobody could even begin to stretch their limits and understand...to just be understood! Something so simple can't possible be denied by everyone!...ohh its hopeless!! Master knows best...I should never have questioned him!" Quasi slumped forward as his head fell into his palms.

All his life he had been told what the world was...but could master be embellishing the truth just the littlest bit?

Quasi stood up and walked his over toward one of the high openings that he used to look down upon Norte Dame square. Gripping onto the opening, he climbed up and positioned himself till he was now looking down at the very centre of the square. It was dark and imposing majesty of the rain. Each drop created a ripple that collected on the ground. Some light could be seen from houses but mostly everyone would have been asleep. As his eyes scanned various parts of the blackened night, a shadowy figure caught his attention. He wouldn't see it repeatedly in a short time but it was certainly there. It looked to be some sort of phantom...an apparition. Squinting his eyes to adjust his sight better, Quasi thought he could get a clear look when the thing next moved. Almost by request, the thing moved out from its place. It first popped its head from behind a few houses then ran with speed to the next building.

Quasi was puzzled and felt curious to get a better look. But before he could look any harder a great crash of lightening lit up his eyes, almost blinding him. Stepping back a touch to regain his vision, Quasi once again looked out at the square only to find the shadow to be gone. He was confused, what could that thing have been? And why was it in such a hurry? Maybe it was a thief? Or a gypsy! Yes...it could be one of those evil gypsies that his master spoke off. "...I know but what if it wasn't a gypsy?...it could be someone sneaking around? Or a thief?!...I know it's raining but I still have to find out!" Quasi replied to his gargoyle friends even though he knew they had not spoken. But to Quasi they were the only things he had that listened.

Jumping down from the rafters, Quasimodo marched across the wooden floor and out of the small door that lead to the top of Norte Danes south tower. A strength hit him in the face as he walked out, the sheer brutality of the rain hurting his whole body. He wore no cape, only his long green tunic, brown pants and dark green boots. His auburn hair clung to his face within a few seconds...he pushed them out of his face just as he made it to the ledge. Peering over, just out of sight but still visible...there it was again! That shape! Only this time Quasi could see it clearer than ever. It was a person, a young woman by the looks of it. She was wandering around the alleys with her hands covering her arms and her whole persons were soaked.