Chapter 1: Seeing the Light

Kim

Darkness. Everywhere I look. I don't want to live in the dark, but I have to. I miss the light. The sun. I miss sitting on rocks watching humans play on the shore. However, since that massive Earth quake destroyed my people I've had to go into hiding, because without a pod I'm vulnerable to predators. I am the last mermaid and I have changed. I have been forced to evolve so I can blend into the darkness. My once honey blonde hair is now a dark brown with dark green strips. My tale went from a vibrant blue to black with dark green accents and sea weed like fins so I can blend in better. I haven't lost my eyesight because every once in a while a human with weird masks and thing on their backs with these devices that let's off light to help them see in the dark. Because of how much I've changed they never see me. Thankful for that. If I was ever discovered who knows what would happen. Suddenly I see a light. It's the one the humans use. I duck down into ye dark seaweed as the human passes right by me. Backing up I run I to something. Crap! it's another human with a light stick. Staring straight at me! The light shines in my eyes blinding me. I swim away and out of my dark sanctuary and into the light. I look around there are fish of many vibrant colors and dolphins! oh, I love dolphins! I look at my tale, oh man. It's so dark and eery looking. Looking at my cave I see the lights coming out, so I swim fast and far. I don't know we're I am. So, I decide to be bold and swim up. Finally reaching the surface I feel the warm sun on my face, oh how I've missed this.

Jack

Sunshine. All I see is sunshine flowing through my window as I crawl out of bed. Jerry and I are going scuba diving in this one cave we found the other day. So we decided to check it out.

Time skip to docks

I reach the dock were my boat is at and I see Jerry talking on the phone. When I reach the boat Jerry says, " Yo man what up?" we bro hug, "That was Mika. Her, Julie and Milton are all goin to the beach later. After scuba diving we should join them!" "Okay, sounds like fun!" we get on the boat when my phone buzzes. It's Lindsay. Ugh, I told her I was going scuba diving. Knowing her though she probably thinks I'm making out with another girl.

Phone convo. J- Jack L- Lindsay

J- hello?

L- Hey Jackie! We're are you? I'm at the beach and all your friends are here but you aren't

J- Lindsay, I told you Jerry and I are going scuba diving.

L- Ooooh scuba diving! I am soooo in! Are you at the dock?

I motion to Jerry to start the motor and we pull away from the dock

J- Maybe another time. We just left the dock.

L- Well, you better turn that boat right back around Jackson! I am your girlfriend and it's summer break! we are SUPPOSED to be spending time together!!!!

J- FINE! I'll come back.

L- Thank you baby!

J- bye.

End convo

Me: "Jerry we gotta go back. Lindsay's coming" I grumble

Jerry: Aw man! That is so not swag! she doesn't even dive. She just sits on the boat texting on her phone!

Me: I know I know. It annoys me too. Here move over I'll drive it back.

A few minutes later I pull the boat back up to see a flustered Lindsay. Crap. I can see the fight happening already...

She hops in the boat and I pull away from the dock. I look over to see her glaring at me.

Lindsay: Jackson Richard Brewer! You did NOT just hang up on me!

I flinch at her using my full name and ignore her, looking out to the open sea. The cave is just a few miles off the coast. I'm not paying attention when fingers are snapping in front of my face.

Lindsay: Jackson! are you even listening to me?!

Me: Lindsay I really don't want to argue right now.

Lindsay: Well too bad! That was so rude! First, hanging up on me second-

I tune her out and look at Jerry. He looks like he's about to explode.

L: Jack! You are ignoring me AGAIN!

Jer: Oh my gosh! Lindsay shut up! Just shut up!

She looks at him in total shock then back at me.

L: Jack, are you going to stand there and let him speak to me that?!

I look at Jerry with a 'go along with it' look and he smirks at me

Me: You're right. Jerry?

Jer: Yeah bro?

Me: Thank you for getting her to pipe down

We both bust out laughing but Lindsay screams and stomps her foot, sitting down.

Finally! I think to myself as we reach the spot.

Time skip

Jerry and I have our scuba gear on and the anchor dropped so the boat wouldn't float away while we where in the water.

Diving in we swim down into the cave, turning on our flash lights. There's a lot of seaweed in here. Jerry motions over to a patch of sea weed with his flash light and I swim around it when something backs into me them swims away startled. Jerry and I look at each other then swim out. Well, what ever it was it's gone now. We swim up to the boat and Lindsay's texting away on her iPhone. Jerry pulls his mask off as he climbs in the boat. I follow behind him and we strip off our scuba gear leaving us in our swim trunks. I then start the boat so we can go to the beach.

A/N: there it is! the first official chapter! I hope you enjoyed!

Comment, vote, and have a great day!