Chapter Eight~It's Okay To Not Be Okay

Dylan's POV

I yawn loudly, stretching as I fully awake. It was dark outside and my eyes felt stiff as though I've been crying. But why? My foggy mind eventually clears and I frown once remembering, my mood suddenly gloomy once again as it was earlier.

"Alex"

I call out his name in the dark room in hopes of getting a response. But only silence came. Sighing, I lazily remove myself from his bed and walk down the carpet stairs in desire to find him there. And food. I make it to the bottom of the stairs and as expected, my best friend was on the couch laying down, sleeping soundly.

The bright tv was left on, interrupting the darkness and highlighting his sleeping figure. I wordlessly walk into the living room and kneel in front of him, gingerly shaking him awake. He stirs, mumbling nonsense and continuing to sleep. I shake him harder while repeating his name.

"Alex. Alex wake up."

"Hmm?"

His eyes finally flutter open and gradually focus on mine causing him to smile.

"Hey"

He greets groggily, getting up and patting for me to sit next to him after sitting crisscross.

"How you holding up?"

I sit on the couch facing him, mocking his position before answering.

"Alright, I guess."

He frowns at my obviously unsure response, placing a reassuring and comforting hand on my leg.

"Hey, it's okay to not be okay."

I roll my eyes and remove his hand from off my leg. He always does this. Treats me as though I'm a child and can't take care of any problem I come across.

"Thanks but I'm sure I can manage things on my own. Without your advice."

"Dylan, don't start this again."

He pleas with a tired sigh, dragging a hand down his face.

"Start what?"

I question, resting my chin in the palm of my hand, signaling I was listening.

"I'm only trying to help."

"I'm 17 years old, I think I can manage on my own."

His jaw clenches at my retort, the only noise now coming from the tv that was playing Super Natural.

"I understand that, but it's not necessary for you to have to go through it alone when I'm right here to help you."

"Well. . .Maybe I don't want your help."

I snap back frustratedly. The wretched expression on his face causes me instantly regret what I had said.

"You know that's not what I meant."

I try and convince, gripping his wrist to keep him from getting up and walking off so I could try to apologize. He laughs sourly, forcefully removing my hand and walking off.

"Alex-"

"I'm going to bed."

He interrupts, walking up the stairs without another word. Fine, fuck him too. Sentimental ass. I get up and walk into the kitchen, turning on the light in venture to find something to eat. I settle on some of the chicken Alfredo that DD had cooked yesterday for dinner, putting it in the microwave to warm it up. The timer goes off and I take my food out, checking to see if it was done by trying a piece.