XI : Comfort

A/N: Oh my goodness I am so sorry everyone! This year has been a mess lately, but it's been steadying. I will try to make it up to you all! I've been rewatching the whole series and I got myself back into SU! Now I can continue the story properly! I even reread this story and I am such a monster for leaving y'all on a cliffhanger for that long.

~~~~~~
Steven's POV

      Connie's been a bit... off lately. She always hid herself from me. Literally. She would only text me daily but come over whenever she "feels comfortable." I tried to get something out of her, but she wouldn't budge. I'm concerned. I love her... and whatever is happening, I want to help her. Actually no, not want. I need to help her.
      I felt like such a therapist when I did this. I called Connie to ask if I could talk with her face to face. Luckily, she agreed. (I totally didn't beg her to say yes for five minutes until she gave up.) She said she'd come over in a while... so I waited patiently.

I heard a knock on the door, assuming it was Connie. I let her inside and on the couch. She always wore the same sweater every day. I was concerned. I am concerned. I rested my hand on her's once she seemed tense. Connie looked at me, smiling.
I look her dead in the eyes. "What's been happening lately? You've been distant from me, and it's making me worry." She returned my gaze, her tired eyes looking into mine. "I'm fine." "No. No, you're not. I'm tired of the lies. You tell me you're fine but I can't see that you're fine." I sigh, rubbing my forehead and staring at the floor. "I love you, Connie. And I want to be able to help you. You're my everything, I don't want anything bad happen to you."
I look up at Connie, and she's looking away from me, her eyes focused on the floor. She takes out her arm, rolling up the sleeve. I gasp once I see cuts all around her arm, red and puffy. I hear sniffling and I look up at her once more. "I'm sorry..." I heard her say. "I'm so, so sorry." She hid her face from me.

Connie's POV

I've been such an idiot. I should've just known Steven would be there for me. He's Steven, of course he would... Once I showed him my cuts, he just sat there silently. I just wanted to look at him... hold him... feel him next to me. Ugh.... what am I doing?...
I leaned over, hugging him tightly. I was shaking... I couldn't control it. I couldn't control any part of me. "I'm sorry." I just repeated. He hugged me back, and it felt nice... after so long of avoiding what I loved most. Steven grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back, looking into my eyes. He gently lifted his hand on my cheek, cupping it in his palm.
"Was it me? That helped cause this?" Steven asked softly. I felt my eyes widen, "No! No, no, no, no! It's not you! It's never you! It's just... me." I held my arm nervously, looking down. I could feel Steven's glare... "Hey, look at me..." he spoke gently. I did as he said, my eyes wet and aching from crying. This made him smile, causing me to smile. "How about you and I have a normal day? Just the two of us. We can go do whatever you'd like." Steven gleamed. This made my shy smile grow. "Yeah... yeah, I'd like that." He grinned and kissed my forehead.

3rd person

Steven let Connie suggest her ideas, and which he agreed to any one of them. He followed her, letting this be her own day of being herself. This made Steven happy, immediately seeing the real Connie again.
Steven followed Connie to Funland, and Connie was definitely being herself there. She was smiling like a dork on all the rides, and when they were taking a break and grabbed snacks, Connie was eating again. Once they were done there, Connie suggested the park. And Steven obviously agreed to this.
They found a nice spot under a tree and small hill, being able to sit in the shade and relax.

Steven and Connie were laying on the grass hill, staring at the clouds. "Hey, that one looks like Dogcopter! See? There's the propellers and then his body," Connie explained, pointing out the cloud. Steven laughed, "Nice one!" Connie then laid on her side, facing Steven, "Hey, um... thank you. For today." Steven rolled on his side as well, a smile on his face. "It's no problem. I love seeing you being yourself again. It's cute. Especially when we were on the ferris wheel. Your reaction to the view got me lovestruck all over again!" Connie blushed a dark red, giggling softly. "Just being with you gets me lovestruck." She mumbled loud enough for Steven to hear. Steven then blushed, his face a light red.
Connie scooted herself towards Steven, cuddling into him like a stuffed bear. Steven wrapped his arm around her, accepting her cuddle. This caused Connie to smile sweetly. "You know... when I'm with you, I feel like true love is possible." Steven continued looking at the clouds, smiling softly and saying, "Me too, Connie."

~~~~~~

There you have it, one chapter done. I'll be posting more often, promise. I will be posting more chapters until school comes around (August 15). For now, goodbye!
~ Artsy