Prologue

I shut the window, which was blowing my papers and table doilies around the dining room. My hair was a mess. The papers were tiresome to pick up, but nonetheless, I picked them up. It was twelve thirty, or so that's what my stove's clock said.

"Almost time for work..." I sighed. I slowly walked to my room to retrieve my uniform. I dropped my comfortable nightgown to the floor. The cold air made me want to curl into the bed only a few feet away. I pulled my dress out of the drawer, my stockings too. The dress fit sort of snugly, fitting better in some areas than others. The dress itself was close to the color of toothpaste, with a darker blue stripe through the right side. My employee number written downwards directly next to it. I throw my white lab coat over my arms. Routine settles around me as I sit on my bed, pulling my stockings up. I rubbed my hairless legs. What can I say, that new razor I used last night really works. That's probably the best brand I've used, seeing as it didn't cut me once. I continued to pull up both legs before standing and leaving my room.

My house is quiet. I glanced at my phone's clock. Twelve fifty-six. How did the time move so fast? I rushed to the front room, hurriedly placing my shoes on my feet. I jumped up and took my keys, leaving with one last look at my empty house.