Chapter Four

SHHSK, SHHSK. Y/N sighs. She picks up her radio and answers.

"This is Y/N, employee number 4414. What can I do for you?" The other end goes beserk.

"Y/N L/N, employee number 4414, you are needed at Edward Gluskins cell."

"Copy that." The H/C girl exits her room.

"Where have you been? We have been trying to page you for the past ten minutes." Y/N groans. She just arrived and she was already being bothered.

"Maybe if someone would fix the speaker in my office, I would be able to know about these things sooner. Just, tell me what the issue is."

"We gotta get him to the Morphogenic Engine. He won't cooperate." Y/N raises her voice.

"Seriously? I just got this one. Poor guy..." She shakes her head. "What happened to his caretaker?"

"Gluskin refused to go with him. He even requested his 'psychologist'."

"Of course he did. And for once, you brutes actually listened to a request of a patient. I see you're feeling generous this season." The woman stormed into the room. Before her was the middle aged man, wrestling with a guard, wearing next to nothing.

"Eddie, I'm here, hun. Come here." The taller male paused, dropping the guard. His face brightened when he saw her face.

"Darling!" He rushed to the woman's side. The guard from earlier stopped him with a hand. "How dare you, you filthy man!"

"I've got it." Y/N said to the guard. The said man raised his arms in surrender before muttering under his breath and leaving. "Eddie, I know we just me a few hours ago, but-"

"Darling, it feels like we've known each other our whole lives." He reached his arm around her. She felt awkward about the embrace. Blush spread across her face as he nuzzled his face into her hair.

"Yes, well, I need you to listen to me, alright? These men are going to take us to a room, and I need you to cooperate." He nods in hesitant agreement. Y/N places a hand on his shoulder and one holding his hand as she guides him out of the room and down the hall.

"Where... Am I going?" Edward glances at her. His hands are shaking. The shorter woman bites her lip. This just doesn't feel fair, she ponders.

"Just a test. You'll be fine dear." She feels his shoulder tense. "You know, something I always recommend to patients is to sing their feelings. It always helped me during an exam or a doctors visit. It can be your own song or one you've heard on the radio. Go on, don't be shy." She smiled up at him.

"When I was a boy my mother often said to me get married boy and see how happy you will be..." His voice was shaky. It made Y/N feel even worse about leading him to his demise.

"That one sure is old. I remember my great grandmother used to play that when I was younger. She said it was her parents' song." Y/N tried to connect to him so he wouldn't feel as lonely as he did. What she said was true, at least. "It's a pretty song. Quartet, even."

The group got closer to the door holding Edwards fate. A tall guard was stationed there. "About time you brought him here. The folks in charge of the Morphogenic Engine are getting rowdy. With that new kid delaying the work as well." These words brought Edward into a frenzy. Y/N cast storms of glares at the guard. Gluskin couldn't have had just a few more seconds of peace.

"Eddie, no, sweetie. It's going to be fine. We can get through this-" Said man shoved Y/N away, disgust on his face.

"You filthy lying slut! Why should I ever trust you again?!" Her heart cracked a little at his words. Guards held onto him, and his demeanor suddenly changed. "Please, L/N, help me! Please, I know you can save me from this!"

"Guys, come on. Let him be for a few more minutes."She shoved through the guards and wrangled Edward. He soon realized she wasn't helping him escape, as she only lead him further in. Some men in full suits disrobed him. Before Y/N could get ahold of Edward, he ran from the hands reaching to control him. He noticed the glass between him and the observation room, and made a beeline for it. Y/N tried to chase after him, but was a bit slower than a man on a mission. In all honesty, she wanted his pleas for help to benefit him. She wished they could help all of her patients. It was unfair for a corporation to take advantage of the mentally unstable. But this was all she could do: wish.

She saw the man in the window shoved into his seat again. She thought it might have been that man she had met earlier, but she wasn't too sure. Before she could see what exactly the technicians were doing to her patient, she exits the room.