Chapter Ten

Y/N was first up the ladder. Her silence worried the man under her. What happened to the talkative woman he knew before they were confronted by Frank? Was she upset with him? With herself? Once the two were on the platform, Waylon decided to ask.

"L/N, are you alright? You're being too quiet."

"I'm fine?" Y/N gave him a confused look before turning around. Waylon took her left arm, spinning her back to face him.

"I'm being serious. We can't get through this place if we keep our thoughts to ourselves." Y/N wasn't expecting to feel as uncomfortable in his hands as she did. He had held her before, so why was it bothering her now?

"I said I was fine..." She tried to take her arm back, but Waylon only tightened his grip.

"And I say you're not fine! You are acting off and we need to get this settled." Waylon barked back. Y/N shrunk back, not knowing what to say. He let out a heavy sigh, his camcorder keeps him from brushing his hair back. "I'm sorry, I just don't know if I'm the reason your acting this way..."

Y/N expression softened. She still wasn't comfortable, with how she feels and with him having yelled at her. But she did feel bad for making him worry. Her kind heart was too much, sometimes.

"Park-- Waylon, no. It isn't... you, necessarily. I'm sorry for making you feel that way." Y/N places a hand on Waylon's arm. Her tired eyes dart to floor beside them. "It's not your fault. I just feel a bit useless? Like, I would seriously be dead had you not saved me all those times. We would have been eaten by Frank if you didn't break the wall down. I'm so weak, and you keep saying I've been helpful but it doesn't feel like it! I mean, every foe we've come across, we've escaped because of you!"

Waylon feared this worse than if she had hated him. Feeling useless in this sort of place... it gets you to give up. That is NOT something he wanted from her. "Y/N, you couldn't possibly--"

"Waylon, you don't need to--"

"No, I do. Please, just... listen. You couldn't possibly be any more wonderful and helpful. The only reason I'm useful is because I can run, climb, and push. I'm just your braun. You are the one who's seen every opening for us. We can't pick what we are good at, Y/N. And I am honored to be escaping with the wonderful, kind-hearted woman standing before me. Please, don't give up on me. We can and will get out, thanks to you"

Y/N could hardly believe what she heard. Sure, she knew he would try to cheer her up. But... Her heart couldn't possibly be moving any faster. Did he really mean any of that? He didn't have a look of deceit.

"Y/N, why are you crying? Did I make things worse? Oh God, I'm sorry--"

The younger woman shook her head. A small laugh rose out of her chest. Waylon loosened his grip on her arm, allowing her to break out of his hold and hug him. The two stood like that, silent. A small "Thank you, Park" brought a pink hue to the man's cheeks.

Y/N stepped back, wiping her eyes with her thumb. She smiled now, Waylon's words helped soothe her anxieties. She still didn't completely believe him, but knowing that he believed in her made her happy.

"Well, time to head up, yeah?" Y/N turned to the hole in the ceiling and tried to climb up. Waylon lifted her the rest of the way up before following suit. He had half a mind to mention how little her skirt covered when she was climbing but decided against it after the little moment they had a few seconds prior.

The two kept climbing. Once they got to an opening, Y/N realized she would have to walk along the thin ledge bordering the drop-off. She took a deep breath. Waylon is right behind her. She needed to get to the other side as quick as possible so her fear of heights didn't mess her up.

She wasn't even on the bigger platform before she heard Waylon breathing hard. Was he scared of heights too? She quickly stepped off the ledge, allowing Waylon to follow after.

"Waylon, deep breaths. It's okay, we're on solid grounds now." Y/N tried to comfort him, getting close but leaving him space to breathe.

"Didn't you see it? How are you," He panted, "How are you so calm?"

Y/N was confused. "See what?"

"The black smoke! It just-- Agh!" Waylon gripped his head. The visions were back.

"Black smoke? I saw that back at my office but... I didn't see anything just now. Maybe my eyes were closed?" Her eyes weren't closed. But what should she have said? "Waylon, are you alright? Is it the visions?"

He nodded.

"Here, sit down. I'll look around that corner." Y/N was about to hurry off, to find something. Waylon reached out for her hand. "I'll be right back. Don't worry. I'll be safe." With a squeeze, Y/N released his hand and went hunting around the corner.

All she saw was a radio and battery. She took the battery but started worrying that the black mist he saw was a hallucination.

Y/N rushed back to her friend, only to find him massaging his head.

"Sorry, I could only find a battery." She quickly sat behind him. Before he could question what she was doing, she already had her hands on his head. "I find this is a better way to rid myself of visual headaches. At least temporarily." Her hands moved delicately against his temples. They traveled around to his forehead, even to the back of his head. He had to admit, it felt nice.

"Shouldn't we... keep going?" He mumbled. It's not that he wanted her magical touch to stop.

"We can wait until you feel better. I think we're pretty safe where we are." Waylon leaned back, resting against Y/N's body as she continued to work on his migraine.

The two were generally silent. Waylon shut his eyes. He could almost forget he was here. Forget he even came to work for Murkoff. He imagined himself back at home, the kids messing around. His wife's beautiful E/C eyes sparkled as they watched their family in joy. He felt at peace before he realized something; his wife's eyes weren't that color. Waylon immediately sat up.

Y/N felt a little jumpy since Waylon was laying against her. She hoped he couldn't hear her heartbeat. He didn't need to know about the stupid crush she had. It would only complicate things. She felt a little cold once Waylon sat up.

"Are you feeling better?"

"Yes, I am. Thank you." Waylon smiled back at her.