Chapter Seventeen

The woman folded the document and put it with the others. There was no reason to worry about it. If whatever it was came after her, there isn't much she could do.

"Out we go, Waylon.." Y/N brushed past the man to further their progress in escape. The eeriness seemed to dissipate since she was quite upset and in pain. Her focus was clouded but tunneled.

"Park, pick those feet up! I want out of here!"

"Shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up!"

"Excuse me? I--" Slightly infuriated and shocked, Y/N turned to see a wide-eyed Waylon with his hands raised in surrender. "Oh. It was a... rando. Sorry."

She swore she couldn't even tell where each sound was coming from. The sound of her and Waylon's feet against the grates drowned in with cries for help and shouts of anguish.

As Y/N and her companion approached another building, a thin patient ran by, bumping her shoulder. This gave her a scare, obviously. So many jumpscares, it was almost if she were in some horror game or something.

"Come back! You have to come back!"

Y/N continued on her trek until she heard the sound of a phone off its hook, which caught her attention. Though nothing was on the other line, She found a ladder to the right of the doorway. She decided she was to go first, but Waylon stopped her.

"What is it? I wanna be able to scout if it's safe or not." She truly did not believe Waylon was in any position to be alone in a new space. "Stay put, doctors orders."

"No, I want to do this."

"Waylon why are you being so--" Y/N was interrupted as Waylon pulled her off of the ladder and set her aside. "What are you doing?"

He didn't answer her as he climbed higher and reached the landing. Y/N waited impatiently as Waylon supposedly scoped out the area.

"Don't trust them."

What? Y/N was not waiting for the O.K. any longer. She began climbing. Once she reached the top, she saw Waylon listening to a patient.

"They'll tell you it's science but it's not. They were..." Y/N crept closer to the two, silencing her footsteps as to not alarm either man, "Waiting for us. In this place, Billy understood."

Y/N stopped shortly from grabbing Waylon. She knew the story being told is sad. She's been hearing it all night. Reading it even. She can't say she's shocked anymore. These poor people placed their faith in what seems to be a failed project.

"They've always been here."

Shaking her head, the young doctor took Waylon's arm and led him away- not before giving a final sorrowful nod to the onlooking patient.

"I can't believe how sick this place is... And you've been working here for years."

"Hey now!" Y/N sent a disgusted face to the man beside her, "I didn't know they were like this when I signed on! I only wanted to help the mentally ill."

Waylon shook his head.

"Besides, you worked here too, you jerk."

Gripping the door handle, Y/N prepared herself for what she was about to see. Couldn't be too weird, right? Small looking security room on top of a roof beside a calm spoken patient. Surely it was nothing they haven't seen yet.

As soon as she opened it, she closed it before carefully reopening it. Corpses lay beside boxes. A large bloodstain adorned the far wall. Someone chasing another with seemingly ill intent. These were a few things one did not want to find behind a closed door. Unfortunately, these were things Y/N and Waylon did find.

As they walked down the horrid hall, everything appeared like it was a really good haunted house. Strobe lights in the room left of them, showing the shadows of a very physical one-sided fight. Doors were being banged. Some bodies looked like a manikin, glossy and without facial emotions. This most likely from the time that they have been dead. But it only seemed like hours since this began.

"How long has it been?" Y/N mumbled.

The only openable door revealed a dark room. The camera showed a whiteboard and some chairs. Walking in, which seemed like a horrible idea, The pair found a comm room.

Y/N hurried to grab the radio talky and tried to send a message out. She was so caught up she didn't hear Waylon grunt behind her.