Chapter Twentyone

WARNING; small TW about suicide down below. Not really a large detail, but just in case.

The duo made their way outside once more, only, it was less open spaced... If you can believe that. And now, the only path ahead was right through a thing of water. Really convenient.

Not only did Y/N have to worry about the patients and Waylon, now pneumonia was a concern.

Waylon leading, the two slid into the dark body of water. Y/N grew disgusted at the mossy-somethings touching her ankle as they waded near the pipes along the building. Creepily enough, something else was in the water with them.

As soon as the first splash of water hit, Y/N rushed Waylon to the left side of the trench. Cautiously, they made their way to a ladder and hefted themselves up.

"Water monsters, huh? That's an interesting twist that we most definitely did not need." Y/N groaned, rolling her shoulders while heading out of the gated area with Waylon. They wandered and crawled through cuts in the fencing until they found a real door.

Y/N helped Waylon up from the made-entrance. Turning towards the path, she jumped back into Waylon's arms: a body was thrown before her.

"W-what..."

"Damn it..." Waylon, now seeing what caused shock, stood the doctor upright. "I don't believe in it anymore. Getting the truth out... There is no truth, only lies we've accepted too long to double back on."

Waylon pushed forward, looking at the limp man.

"It's our children. I would take the easy way out if it wasn't for the boys... Damn this place to hell..." He looked over his shoulder to Y/N. "I'll suffer anything to get out of it."

"We'll get out, Waylon. You'll see your boys run up to you, happy to have their dad back... Come on, then. We don't wanna stick around here too long."

As if Waylon didn't just crack again, they move on, entering the building before them.

It was dark, cold, and very tall. Y/N was nervous about walking up the stairs. Both because of the height and the risk of tetanus. Even worse was trying to jump over gaps in the stairs.

"Come on, you can do it, Y/N. We've jumped worse things than this."

Waylon's encouragement was appreciated, but unhelpful. Eventually, the two made it all the way to the top of the spiral staircase and to its wrapping balcony.

The only way forward was to leap off of the sketchy over-hanging board directed to the roof of another building.

"Are we really going to just... trust this thing??" Y/N did not have the guts to jump this obstacle.

"Yes, yes we are."

"Waylon, I don't know if--"

Before she could finish her sentence, Waylon had already begun racing towards the edge. Y/N shut her eyes, too anxious for the man racing towards a 15-foot jump many stories high.

"Hey, look, I'm" As soon as Y/N looked up, she found him on the lip of the other building, just before it begins to fall.

"Waylon!" The woman ran (well, walked quickly) towards the edge of her tower. Waylon lay on his back, shocked, to say the least. "Are you alright? I'm coming down!"

"Don't come down here--"

"I'll be there in a second!"

Now, trying to scale down a building was not going to go smoothly. Sure, there were bits of wood and other objects tacked up and around, but she had no confidence in them. Plus, she couldn't even throw her heels down or else she'd risk slicing her foot open.