C I N Q U E - O R A N G E

"Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?"

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Francesca River de Luca

"I am going to skin him alive, then I'll pull his heart out and wrap his intestines around it and crisp it up. Then I'll..."

"Oh my god, stop it. When did you become so psychotically murderous? Jesus Ri. Give it a break." I was rudely cut off by my sweet best friend's shrill voice.

"No I won't. How dare that bloody blasted pig to do this to me! Where did that stupid prison lack that he is now sending perverted haughty tarts behind me. Why can't he leave me the hell alone for once? I need a breather." I finished with a huff.

As I turned to glance at Ro, I noticed something really intense in her eyes but I couldn't pin point it. I am familiar with seeing her eyes shine with mischief but right now she looks like an all different person. But as soon as she notices my eyes on her, her intense eyes morphs into the usual lightness. I just shrug it.

Maybe it's just the jet lag.

"Well just leave it alone for the time being. You can't get shit done by just pulling your hair out and screaming like a mad woman. So chill out, we'll get you out of this." She says trying to make me relax.

Well people, here's the best friend that I know and love.

"You're right. It's just futile to go all banshee inside a car. Would you like a nice long drive? You know what let's just grab a hell lot of food from McDonald's and open that sun roof and forget about this entire ordeal." I said getting excited by the thought itself.

"What! Are you crazy or something? Didn't you hear Mr. Veyron back there? They'll just create a mess if you're not inside the mansion as soon as possible. Seriously Ri, what is your deal? Why do you love complicating simple situations?" Ro said so irritated that I almost blanched thinking that she had been possessed.

I think Valak has taken a little toll.

Ro and short temper was something that just didn't fit well together. What has Spain done to my ever loving, bubbly and sweet best friend?

"Ro, relax! They can't do anything to me, Leone would kill them in cold blood if anybody lifted an eye to me. And more over Leone isn't even here, it's all clear. By the way, Francesca River de Luca does whatever the hell she pleases, Leone Alessio Valentini be damned to the pits of hell." I told her trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Oh dear, was I wrong!

Her stance got even more fierce and she looked as if she was trying to protect something. I have no idea what but I am sure it's more dear than her life.

"Well great. You're lucky Ri, you have such an amazing lover and you're even marrying him so I don't see a reason for your fuss just minutes ago. I feels like all you want is to run into his arms and spread your legs for him." she spat almost disgustingly, stunning me momentarily.

"What is your problem Ro? Have you lost your mind? What the hell has gotten into your head? How can you say something like that to me? You know fully well that all I want to do is to run the hell away from this prison but no, here am being judged by my best friend for a joke that I cracked apparently to lessen the cold in the atmosphere. I am truly sorry for I have sinned." I said through clenched teeth.

I mean common I have had enough. I am no doormat that everyone will walk all over me and I will let that happen. I was raised way better than that. I love my best friend but this is so not her. God only knows what is going on, I am on the verge of losing all my mind. As if Leone and his games were not enough, Ro is even behaving like this.

"I am so sorry Ri, I didn't mean to sound like a rude bitch. I am super tired and your rambling is maybe taking a toll on me. You know I love you, common now ease up." she said soothingly holding her ears and giving me puppy dog eyes.

Who ever invented 'puppy dog eyes', damn you!

"Alright. I get it and I am sorry too. I was behaving inconsiderate. Now tell me what do you want to do? " I said smiling.

Because what can't a sincere apology mend?

"I don't know, let's just get some food first I guess. I am famished and you know I hate airline food. And by the way, does Leone provide all his men such awesome cars?" she asked.

"I don't know. More like I never paid attention. But I guess he does after all that guy is loaded like anything." I said shrugging, I genuinely didn't give two flying pigs to all that.

"Why are you so chilled out Ri? Especially when you should be freaking out like fuck. We are roaming randomly when Leone Valentini would be fuming and he will possibly lock you up when you reach home. Aren't you anxious?" she asked out of blue.

"Well, he isn't anywhere near. He's all the way back in Italy doing well, whatever he does. So no worries. And moreover I want the news to reach his ears. I have unfinished business with him." I told her, now remembering that I have been desperately calling him since two flipping weeks.

At that thought anger coursed through me like wild forest fire.

"By the way, does every Valentini car has Valentini followed by a number in the number plate? " She asked sounding genuinely curious.

"Errrmmm... No, why?" I asked her confused.

"That guy in the airport, his car had Valentini 7 as it's number plate. So am just.. "

"What?" I shrieked loudly and jammed my foot on the break.

I think there's a crack on the windshield due to my shrill voice.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? I don't want to die so early. I am still hungry as heck." Ro cried out due the sudden jerk.

By that time I had already started speeding towards the villa. That was all it took, for my anger to burn through my veins and my adrenaline to go haywire.

"Ri, what is going on? I am starting to freak out. Could you please drop that expression?" Ro said sounding scared.

"Leone Ro, Leone Valentini has graced France with his oh so glorious presence. Valentini 7 is only for Leone's cars. 7 turns into L when you rotate it. L stands for Leone." I told her while completely focusing on the road.

I have never wanted to be some where with this urgency, then again when it came to Leone, every record had a shelf life.

"Oh my god. Are you serious?" she whispered out but I was too busy in my own little shell.

My shell where I was strangling him but not before kissing him senseless. All the longing and desires were devouring my anger and frustration. And the push that I was feeling towards him was just too strong to keep my footing, right now. I just wanted to let go of every single cable that bound my mind away from his essence and fall into his arms in free fall, where I felt so safe.

Don't you dare drift off there.

But those cables are just too deeply bound to me that they will draw blood and reap my veins apart if I struggled. But I cannot help but wonder around the 'what ifs'.

"He was right in front of me. Barely some feet away." I whispered in a daze as I remembered the sparkling electricity that ran through my body making me shiver when he grabbed me.

I shook myself out of the daze. And focused on the anger that I harboured for him, for as long as I could remember. Every frustration came rushing back to me. All I want right now, is to squeeze the hell out him.

Author's note

Well, this isn't it all you adorable people. I have another part to "Devoured". Good things come to those who wait, BTW.

For those who doesn't know, Valak is the demonic nun from The conjuring 2

Let me know what you think about the chapter and the story in the comments. I would love to have your suggestions. And did you find the Conjuring series scary?

Thank you for stopping by. VOTE IT UP.

Akankshya