Endeavors

~ The Next Day ~

Gloomily stepping into the classroom with my eyes all puffy from crying all night, I suddenly froze due to a loud squeal that came from a huge crowd forming in the middle of the class.

Wondering what all the raucous commotion was about, I rushed over to the circle of numerous students gathered up altogether.

But I instantly regretted my action, because my heart completely shattered from the agonizing scene I witnessed.

There stood Jungkook and Yerim in the center of the crowd with their hands intertwined, both of their cheeks brightly glowing red with sheepish smiles displayed on their faces.

The cheerful congratulations, squeals, whistles, and applauds filled my ears, but I remained speechless.

My heart was throbbing.

The boisterous noise surrounding me began to fade away as I silently watched the two of them share a passionate laugh from afar.

I felt so damn betrayed.

But the thing is, he was never mine.

I shouldn't be envious of Yerim.

I had no right to be.

Unintentionally, a single tear slowly trickled down my flaring cheek.

No, don't cry here.

Stop, hold it in.

But the more I forced myself to stop crying, the more my uncontrollable tears flowed.

I had to get out of here.

Hurriedly wiping them away with the palm of my hands, I hastily turned around to leave.

But suddenly, I was stopped by someone loudly shouting my name from behind.

"Seoyeon!"

Oh god.

That voice.

It's Yerim.

Before she could witness my utter brokenness, I speedily ran toward the door and rushed out without daring to look back.

But as soon as I exited the classroom, I felt a relatively small hand vigorously grasp onto mine.

"Wait Seoyeon!" I heard Yerim anxiously say.

"What the hell do you want?!" I shouted in extreme rage, forcefully flinging her hand away from me with all my might.

Due to my aggressive action, a grief-stricken frown immediately appeared on Yerim's face.

No, I didn't mean to say that.

Although I didn't intend to hurt her like this, my mouth carelessly continued to blabber uncontrollably.

"What, are you going to brag to me about your new boyfriend? Are you happy? Was this your plan all along Yerim?" I weakly questioned with my voice slightly cracking, all my true thoughts recklessly pouring out into my words.

Hearing my ruthless remark, Yerim's expression changed into a furious look with her eyebrows furrowing.

"What's the matter with you?!" She agitatedly shouted at me.

"Did you really expect me to say no to him?! I like him Seoyeon! I'm sorry, but I'm in love with him too!" She grievously admitted with her eyes beginning to glisten with tears.

"I tried to get over him for you! Trust me, I really did!" She continued to cry out, greatly overwhelming me with extreme remorse.

"Yerim..." I regretfully muttered, my heart truly aching at the sight of her tears streaming down her red cheeks.

"I wasn't expecting him to like me back, because I thought he liked you... That's why I was beyond happy when he confessed to me..." She dejectedly admitted, sorely clenching both of her fists in great woe.

"And if you're a true friend, you should be happy for me."

And with that, she turned away and left.

Speechlessly staring at her relatively small figure run away from me, my vision began to blur from the hot tears forming from the corner of my eyes.

I'm sorry Yerim, but I can't be happy for you.

I like Jungkook way too much to let him go.

Trust is built over years, and destroyed in a second.

Friendship is a lost art.
The very word has lost its true meaning.
Two people wasting each other's energy,
disguising hatred with love,
making deceit with fun.

Loyal souls know betrayal better than anyone,
the most honest souls have been the victim of the worst lies,
and the prettiest of hearts have been through the ugliest shit,
All in the name of love.

As I was grievously wiping my tears away and killing my voice while I silently weeped, I suddenly heard my name be called by someone from behind.

"Seoyeon!"

Turning around, I noticed Jin excitedly running toward me with an elated grin displayed across his face.

But his simper instantly disappeared at the sight of my broken expression, turning into a frown of utter worry.

"Oh my god, what happened? Why're you crying? Are you okay?" He anxiously attacked me with questions with his eyebrows furrowed upside down.

"I-It's nothing! I'm fine! Really!" I lied, weakly faking a smile onto my face in assurance.

"No you're not Seoyeon. Tell me, what happened?" Jin demanded, seeing right through my false camouflage.

Letting out a deep, distressed sigh of defeat, I opened my mouth to speak up.

"Well, the person I have the biggest crush on is dating my best friend..." I sadly confessed, only to receive a puzzled look from him in return.

"Your best friend? Yerim?" He confusedly asked.

I reluctantly nodded.

"Wait, isn't she dating Jungkook?" He questioned.

I dejectedly nodded.

"S-So the person you like is..." He reluctantly muttered, finally coming upon the obvious realization.

Instead of nodding, I grievously hung my head low and sorely bit my bottom lip.

"Oh god, I just made you feel worse." Jin panicked.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of arms gently wrap around me, welcoming me into a warm, comforting embrace.

"I'm really sorry. You helped me get over Yerim so I really want to help you too, but this is all I can do for you, and I'm sorry." He apologetically stated, softly stroking my head with his large hand.

After a while, Jin let go of me and firmly placed both of his hands on my shoulders.

"Hey, I'll always be here for you if you need a friend to talk to, alright?" He kindly assured, truly warming my heart with his genuine benevolence.

A smile finally forming on my face, I fondly looked up at him in great appreciation.

"You're the best, Jin."