Ch. 1

"You've been here a week and all you've done was sulk in the corner," Rick told her gesturing around the cement block build cell that had become her home. "Tell me what Negan is planning and I'll cut ya some slack. A nice home cooked meal, nice and hot just waiting for you," he tried to bargain.

"Fuck off," she had mumbled too tired from being partially malnourished and dehydrated. She looked at Rick as he leaned against the iron bars that kept her from escaping and going home. The mattress that she was being forced to sleep lay beside her as she sat in the corner. She wouldn't wish sleeping on that mattress upon her worst enemy, in this case being Rick, to sleep on because that's how shitty it was. The blood stains and grime that were on it only covered by a thin white sheet. No padding so it felt like she was sleeping on the floor with an even shittier pillow under her head. Things were so much better at The Sanctuary and she knew that Negan would be by any day to get her, but he never came. Day after day she waited and waited, still no Negan.

"He doesn't care about you, ya know? Don't you think he'd shown up by now? You were nothing, but just another soldier, nothing else," Rick spat, his blue eyes trying to find her brown ones.  "Those people under his control, he doesn't care about any of them. Not you, them, anyone. The only person Negan cares for is his self," Rick told her coldly.  "What's your name?"

Kali groaned throwing her head back against the wall. "Are you going to ask me the same stupid ass questions every fucking day till you get the answers you want," she paused waiting for an answer but none came. "Name's Kayley. There ya happy?"

A smirk tugged at Rick's lips as he lowered his head and chuckled. "What were you in the old world?" He watched as Kali rolled her head to the side and glared at him clearly giving him a look of annoyance. "I was a sheriff's deputy before all this."

"Woah, big shocker there," Kali quipped sarcastically. "Did it make you feel all powerful and shit toting a gun around and the badge on your chest," she chuckled quietly. "Why are you wanting to know all this stuff about me Rick? Like you said, I'm a nobody. No one cares about me. So why?"

"I try to see what everyone has in their arsenal to see what they can do. So, what did you do?"

Kali sighed. "If you really want to fucking know, I was a history teacher at a school in North Carolina, but that doesn't mean I can't kick your ass Rick."

"Never said you couldn't," he laughed, "why were you with Negan?"

"For fucks sake Rick can you just give me that water bottle and daily peanut butter sandwich and leave me the hell alone," Kali groaned ignoring the mans latest question.

"Answer the question and I'll think about it," he bargained once more. "Why were you with Negan," he asked once more.

Pushing up from her spot in the corner, Kali stretched quickly becoming dizzy and black spots filling her vision before they scurried away. Taking a couple steps towards the door, Rick's eyes locked on her as she made a slow walk towards him. "You want to know why I was with Negan," she asked him once she was right in front of the door that Rick now stood on the other side of instead of leaning. Just because he had her weaker now doesn't mean that she still wasn't deadly. "He was the first person that I came across when I was out there on my own. We met in a little run-down town outside Greensboro, where he took me in and I've been with him every since."

"After everything he's done you're still with him? All the people he's killed for no reason other than want?"

Kali groaned as she slid down the wall beside the door. "I answered your fucking question Rick. Now give me my food," she demanded reaching a hand out to the door.

"Last one then you can eat. Why were you still with him?"

"Jesus Christ Rick do you think that he's the only bad one here? How many people have you killed? Why? How many of them did you kill because they threatened you Rick? Hmm? We just learned to survive somehow. Do you think we could have built what we had now if people didn't trust us? You should know. This place you have here, it looks nice from what I can see from my tiny window over there. How did you end up here Rick? How many people did you kill?  Stop looking at us like we're the bad guys and accept the fact that you are just like us. Hell, this right here is kidnapping. Ain't that right sheriff? Holding someone against their will. Figured a law man like yourself would know better."

She heard Rick take a deep breath before replying. "We killed when we had to. There's no doubt about it," he paused, "what y'all are doing is despicable and I'm going to make sure that you and Negan learn your lesson," he promised.

"What about those men that were sleeping when you cut their throat? Hmm. Why didn't you just kill me too? After what I did to your man, why didn't you kill me too? Being dead would be a lot better than being here."

"That's enough," Rick snapped."You'll learn. It's a hard lesson to learn, but I'll make sure that you get it. You can't just go around taking from people and killing them when they don't comply. Before you know it, the saviors will be no more, Negan will be dead, and you'll still be here, in this cell. Here's your dinner," he said slipping the water and sandwich through the cell door. "Get some rest. You're gonna need it."

"Promises Rick promises. Don't write checks your ass can't cash," Kali yelled, but Rick ignored her and made his way up the stairs. She listened as his boots had made their way up the stairs, the sound disappearing, and the door up top creaking shut. The sound of the lock lacking made her let out a shaky breath. Quietly, Kali gathered her 'dinner' and made her way over to that lumpy mattress. Sitting with her back against the wall, Kali undid the plastic wrapper that encased her sandwich and took a quick bite. Her stomach grumbled in anticipation. The peanut butter creamy on her tongue as she swallowed it letting out a moan.

Popping the cap off the water, she took a long chug before remembering that she needed to make it last. Slowly eating her food with a couple sips of water along the way, she watched through the window as the clouds rolled across the sky. Where was Negan? Was Rick going to leave her in here forever just because she was one of Negan's lieutenants?

Before she realized how quickly time had flown by the sun was setting and darkness was setting in. Her eyes began to droop with sleep. Forcing herself to lay down and sleep, Kali pulled the other sheet-like blanket over her form before turning to face the wall. Tomorrow would just be another day. More of Rick's questions, shitty food, a bathroom break and if she's lucky a bath. Negan would be here soon...right?