Chapter 23

Kali heard his voice float up the stairs that she stood in the kitchen. Just down those stairs, is the man that took her in when the world ended. It's been nearly a year since she last saw him since she left for the outpost before the attack, she thought she would never see him again. She wondered how he would react because both were told each was dead.

"There's someone that wants to see you," she hears Rick drawl. She feels her heart start to hammer in her chest. A newfound nervousness washed over her. She didn't know why she was nervous. Negan was the one the saved her. He was like her brother, she'd do anything for him if it needed to be done. He would always take care of her no matter the situation. From the beginning to the fall of the Sanctuary, Negan took care of her. It was her turn to do the same for him.

His low chuckle reached her ears. "Why would anyone want to see me? The prisoner locked away for life in the great Rick Grimes basement. No one is left to care about what happens to me. I'm just here as your example of mercy, an example of the past."

Kali caught Rick's eyes when he looked up the stairs. She wanted to just walk down there at the start, but Rick was adamant that she would wait until he gave the all clear. "They're probably the last person that cares about you," Rick says looking back to Negan, who is sitting on his bed leaned against the wall.

"Is it one of my wives? You allowing conjugal visits now, Rick? Now you're speaking my language," Negan's voice laced with sarcasm. The springs of the bed creaked as the man shifted his weight, so he was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Not a wife," Rick says shortly.

Negan pushed off the bed. His bare feet padded across the cold concrete floor towards the cell bars. "Well, now you've got my attention, Grimes. Why don't ya send em on in and we get the show on the road."

"Do you ever get tired of pretending that you're still in charge," Rick asked annoyed with the man's antics.

"Do you," Negan quipped earning a glare from Rick. "Alright. Sorry. Now, who is it that wants to see dear old Negan?"

Rick tore his eyes away from Negan and looked up the stairs. Simply, he gave a nod to the person at the top.

Her steps down the wooden stairs were shaky. Kali had to hold onto the banister afraid that she would end up falling down them.

"Holy shit," Negan gasps once he was her. The basement fell silent once Kali finally reached the bottom and stood next to Rick. "There's no goddamn way," he said breaking the short silence.

Kali's voice caught her throat. She tried to speak, but nothing came out. She walked towards the cell bars that Negan stood just behind. He backed away quickly trying to get as far away as he could get in the small concrete cell.

Negan was backed into the corner away from the cell bars. There was ten feet plus steel bars between them, but to Negan it was not far enough. His eyes bounced frantically between the two of them. "What is this shit Rick," Negan yelled his question at the man. For the second time in his life, Negan was legitimately afraid.

Rick cleared his throat. "Negan...you know who this is," Rick's voice calm trying to get the man behind the bars to settle down.

Negan's eyes settled on Kali's form behind the bars. Deep in his core, we wanted this to be Kali, but she was dead...or that's what Rick had told him months ago. To him, she looked so much the same, but at the same time so different. He noticed that she was thinner than the last time he saw her. Her hair was shorter like it was when they first met. Her eyes were soft when she looked at him. She didn't look puzzled seeing him down here. It's like she knew he was here. "There's no way she's here. You that Kali was dead. You said that she was killed that day in the field," he said pointing at Rick. "What the fuck is wrong with me," he asked. His voice wavering as he slid down the wall in the corner.