Chapter 26

"Twenty-two, twenty-three, and twenty-four boxes of mint toothpaste so I think we're good on that for a while," Kali said to Barb who was writing down the numbers as Kali gave them to her. The pair were in the pantry doing a round on inventory so that people would know what was needed in the community when they went on a run later in the week. "I think that Michonne got a little carried away last time," Kali played.

Barb just grinned as she continued to write on her notepad as the pair moved around the room. "If you could have any food from the old world now what would it be," Kali questioned looking over her shoulder to Barb.

Barb was one of the elder people in Alexandria. Kali had heard she came from the Kingdom after her husband had died. Rick had put her in charge of doing the inventory between runs soon after she arrived.

The woman looked to be in thought for a moment before her eyes lit up. "As dumb as it might sound, I would kill for a pack of chocolate pudding."

"Ya know whatever is on that list gets looked for," Kali hinted gesturing to the notepad in Barb's hands.

Barb quickly caught on to what Kali was saying. She was just about to put the pen to paper when someone cleared their throat behind the two women.

Kali flicked her eyes at the person standing just inside the door. Kali didn't pay the person any attention as she went back to counting and reorganizing the shelves. Barb didn't know what to do. She was torn between doing her assignment and leaving the pair to have a moment alone. She could sense the tension on the air the moment Kali laid eyes on the person at the door.

"Can you give us a couple of minutes Barb," the person asked keeping their eyes locked on Kali.

"Sure sweetheart," the older lady said putting her notepad down on a nearby shelf. "I'll be around."

"Barb," Kali called out, but it was too late. The older lady had already left the small room. "What," Kali snapped, turning to look at man against the wall.

Rick pushed off the wall and walked down the aisle towards her. "Where have you been?"

"What do you mean 'where have you been'? I've been here. Around. Doing things," she said turning back towards the shelves to rearrange the cans.

Rick closed the small gap between them. He reached around Kali and grabbed the cans that she was messing with and set them aside. Rick looked at woman between the shelves and himself.

Kali dropped her hands and slightly hung her head. Desperately she wanted to feel his strong arms wrap around her and hold her tight. Instead, she felt Rick move from behind her. He reached and lifted her chin to where their eyes would meet. "Where have you been," he asked softly.

"Around."

"I haven't seen you since we got back from that run a couple of weeks ago. How have you been?"

Kali didn't answer. She looked down and shook her head.

Rick put his hands on her shoulders and turned her towards him. He stepped forward and gently wrapped his arms around her.

Kali let herself relax in his arms. This was the first time she had felt safe since they got back. At night she had nightmares that about Rick or her getting killed or both of them getting taken. During the day, she locked herself away in her house not wanting any company. She didn't even go see Negan. Behind the metal wall that surrounded the community, she still didn't feel safe. Those men reminded her of what she used to be, and it scared the hell out of her.

She didn't want to go back to the way things were before. Kali was happy here and she was happy with who she was.

Rick held her like that for a while. Neither one of them wanted to let go. Kali had her head laid on his shoulder. Silent tears escaped her eyes and created a large damp spot on his shoulder. It was Kali that finally pulled away first. She wiped the remnants of her tears from her eyes.

"Sorry," she said softly easing away from him.

"It's okay," Rick said softly reaching out and rubbing her arm. "So, I had an interesting conversation this morning with Negan."

"Yeah."

"He said you haven't been to see him since before we left for that run."

"Mhmm."

"Why," Rick questioned.

Kali just shrugged her shoulders. She knew exactly why she hasn't gone to see him since they got back. She didn't want to become him. Killing those men had felt good. She slipped back into the darkest part of herself and she didn't want to become that person again.

"Kali," Rick said softly.

"What?"

Rick just looked at her from a moment. He was worried about her. She hasn't been herself since they got back a couple of weeks ago. "Take the rest of the day off. Go see Negan. Relax. You are safe here."

"Is that an order?"

A small smile danced across Rick's face. "Sure is."

"Fine," she huffed brushing past him and towards the door of the pantry. She stopped in the open door for a moment. She wanted to tell Rick everything that was happening, but she knew that it would make him start to worry about her again.

------------------------------------

It seemed darker than normal in his cell. It had been for a while now. The days dragged on and the nights lasted even longer. Negan sat and sat all day long. Sometimes he would read a book that Rick had brought him. Other times he would throw the ball against the wall for hours on end.

Negan found himself sitting on the stack on blankets that he uses for his bed. The yellow tennis ball bounced across the floor to his feet. Negan picked it up and tossed it at the wall again expecting it to bounce back like it always did. His aim was lousy, and the ball hit off one of the metal posts of his bed and bounced away, out of the cell.

"Shit," Negan sighed bringing his hands up to cover his face before dragging them down. Negan leaned his head back against the brick wall, closing his eyes and saying a few choice words to himself.

He looked over the ball now stationed against the wall outside the cell before looking away in disgust. Quickly, his head snapped back towards the door. The cell door was barely cracked.

So many different thoughts rushed through his mind. He could easily make a run and try to get out of Alexandria, but it was the middle of the day and there was no doubt that someone would see him. He could just wait for Rick or someone to come down here and just let them lock him back up, but that would be hours, if not the next morning.

Negan stood to his feet and walked over to the door. He pushed the door and it opened with a squeak. Immediately, a sweeping grin appeared across his face. He was getting out of here tonight.

---------------------
**Hello everyone!! First off, I would like to apologize for taking forever to update! Thank you all for sticking with me and continuing to show this story some love! I will try and update soon rather than later! All votes and comments are appreciated! More soon!**