Chapter 32

The next few weeks passed slowly. After they got back to Alexandria, no one was allowed to leave the gates without a partner. Mostly it was Aaron and Rick that left the gates. Kali would spend the first half of her days teaching at the schoolhouse before spending the rest of the day helping teach the others how to fight. One the days that Aaron and Rick were gone, Kali was also in charge of supervising Negan as he did his daily chores in the community garden.

Kali found herself standing off to the side of the community garden watching Negan and Judith as the chilly autumn winds bit into her skin through her sweatshirt and jeans. Winter was approaching quickly which meant that Rick and Aaron were making more and more runs for supplies. Everyone knew it was going to snow, it was just a question of when and if they would have enough to survive.

"What are you two snickering at," Kali asked seeing Judith and Negan try to discreetly point her way before laughing amongst themselves.

"Nothing," Judith replied sweetly looking over her shoulder turning back to Negan.

"Jude," Kali warned, but her tone held no true venom.

It was Negan's turn to look over his shoulder at her. He flashed her that notorious mischievous smirk and Kali narrowed her eyes onto him. With her hands tucked into the pocket of her sweatshirt, Kali slowly made her way over the pair. "Judith, I think it's time you head inside for dinner," Kali said motioning towards Rick's house.

"But," the girl started to protest before Negan cut in.

"Listen to Kali, Jude. It's starting to get dark; you need to eat and wash up before bed," Negan interjected.

Judith tried to give both of them her best puppy eyes but neither budged. With a defeated sigh, Judith pushed herself up off the garden floor before slowly starting her venture across the street towards home. Kali just shook her head as they watched Judith sulk as she walked away. Sometimes it was plain difficult to tell the younger Grimes no.

Negan laughed as they watched Judith turn back to them before she pushed the front door open. "Hell, of a kid huh," he asked after Judith pushed the front door open and disappeared inside.

"She's something."

"Going to be a damn fine leader of this place one day. I hope I'm still around to see it."

Kali nodded in agreeance. "And Carl. Rick's grooming these kids for that role. I damn sure don't want it."

"Whatcha mean?"

Kali looked down at Negan who was still kneeling beside the tomato plant. His beanie almost pulled down low enough where she could not see his eyes. He had asked for a hair cut a few weeks ago and surprised her when he wanted it all buzzed. Kali had to hold back a whimper as she took the razor to his hair. "I've had my fun of being in charge. I'll let someone else do that for a while."

"You think Rick is just keeping you around to watch the kids? Alright K. Speaking of Rick the prick, what is happening there?"

Kali could not stop the heat from flooding her cheeks as she looked down at Negan. Things with Rick had been tense lately. He was always high strung and on edge anticipating an attack that could come at any second. In the moments that he did let his guard down, he was all over her. Against the wall, the door, the couch, the shower, anywhere and everywhere that he could get her alone, he was peeling their clothes off.

"They're fine," Kali said after clearing her throat. "Things are fine."

Negan laughed as he stood up to tower over her. "Fine? Haha. Tell me K, is his dick bigger than mine?"