Chapter 3

The sound of the cell door opening caught Kali's attention. She'd been up for a couple hours now but lay on her mattress pretending to be asleep. She had heard their boots as they descended the stairs, their voices in a whisper. The sound of boots skidding across the floor, caused her muscles to contract with the want to attack. This wasn't Rick. He never came into her cell when she was asleep or pretending to be. He either called her bluff or waited until she woke up.

When rough hands touched her shoulder, Kali involuntarily flinched. Curling her right hand into a fist she waited. When the person pulled her over onto her back, Kali came up swinging. She caught a glimpse of brown hair as the person jerked away and fell to the ground. She heard his groans as she scrambled to her feet. Her heart rate was quickening as she scrambled to get to the open cell door, only to be stopped in her tracks by a man pointing a black Glock at her. "You just don't know how to stop do you," the man asked, "What was your plan huh? Kill us too and make a run for The Sanctuary? You do know that if you ever try to leave here, Rick will hunt you down and kill ya right? Maybe we should just save him the trouble. Kill ya right now. We could say that you tried to get my gun, so we didn't have a choice. How does that sound?"

Kali raised her hands in surrender. Today was not the day to get shot by a couple of pricks who wanted her dead anyway. "I panicked. Your buddy over there grabbed me and I panicked. No need to fucking shoot me when I'm just standing here," Kali defended.

The man eyed her. His eyes full of hatred as he stared at her. "Tommy you alright," he asked the man that was still collecting himself on the floor.

"Yeah Mitch," he answered. "For a woman, she sure does pack a hell of a punch," Tommy had said standing to his feet. "What did you think you were going to do Miss Kayley? Think you'd get away," he asked this time closer so that his breath was hot her neck. Kali closed her eyes that same feeling of discomfort from when Rick was behind her amplified by this man. His hands reached up and brought her hands behind her back. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this but....," he paused slipping the zip-ties around her wrist, "that isn't how things work around here," as he pulled the ties tight causing her to grimace.

"Aw Tommy, I think you hurt her," teased Mitch. He had put the gun away and stepped forward into the cell. He walked around her pulling the ties tighter. Tommy was now in front of her rubbing his jaw. "I think it's fair to say what goes around comes around," Tommy said before delivering a blow to Kali's face. With a small sliver of blood coming from her lip Kali turned her head back recovering from the hit delivering a glare at the man."That'll teach ya not to fuck with me," he seethed before punching her again.

The rest was a blur as the pair basically drug her from the cell. One on each side holding her up and forcing her to walk down the street. When she would miss a step, they'd jerk her up causing her to groan. This was the first time that she has been outside of Rick's house. "Where are you taking me," she grumbled her jaw aching and dazed from the punches. The bright rays from the sun caused her to squint.

"Shut up," Tommy demanded as they drug her along. Along the way, they passed other Alexandrians that just watched the scene. An outline of a church came into view up ahead. The duo continued to drag her towards the church. "Get ready to repent your sins," one of them whispered pushing the door open.

Rick was at the back of the church talking to Michonne. He turned and looked when the door opened. Tommy and Mitch walked her to him before letting go. "Hey there Rick, how have ya been? It's been about a week since I last saw you right?"

"What happened," he asked taking hold of her chin examining her newly busted lip and a bruise forming on her cheek. When he touched her, Kali tried to pull away, but Rick didn't let go. Looking up Kali's eyes met Rick's. His eyes full of worry. "What happened," he grounded out breaking eye contact with her to look at Tommy and Mitch.