Chapter 22

The tires roared as the car rolled down the road. The two occupants inside had barely exchanged words the whole journey to the Hilltop. Rick was driving, while Kali was laid back in the seat just resting her eyes like she had told Rick when they left. Rick knew that she was awake because he could see her eyes moving as the stared out of the window.

"I heard you snapped at Judith yesterday."

"Sorry," she mumbled not tearing her eyes away from the window.

"It's not her fault. It was my choice."

Kali turned her head to look at him. "I know that. You've said it every time I have even mentioned anything about it," she snapped. "Why did you even drag me along on this trip to the Hilltop anyway? I don't want to be there," she mumbled sinking back in her seat staring out the window.

"We need to talk to Maggie and check on people. They're still apart of the family."

"You need to talk to Maggie. You need to check on people. Your family, not mine," she said just loud enough for him to hear. "These people are not my family. The only reason I'm even in this car headed to the Hilltop is because you made me get in the car. I would rather be back in Alexandria with the only family that I have left, which you decided to keep from me for nearly a year while he was in that fucking cell."

Rick turned his head to look at her but stopped himself from saying anything that would escalate the situation farther. He looked back towards the road and turned the car onto the dirt road that leads to the Hilltop. Within minutes the gate of the community came into view. Gate guards opened the gate letting the car drive through.

Rick was first out of the car and Kali followed not long after. It was Rick that caught the dirty glare coming from Daryl at the pair.

Kali was too busy looking around. She had been to the Hilltop twice before the saviors ever met Rick. She had come with Simon on a pickup once. The only thing that she could remember that was the same is the large brick house in the center of the community. She could see a large number of former saviors that were working within the community.

Her eyes landed on Daryl standing just off of the group acting as their supervisor. His glare was cold and full of hatred. Inside, she feels herself start to panic. If it wasn't for Rick walking behind her and putting his hand on the small of her back, she would have run out of the community. She should not have come here.

Rick motioned towards the house. He led the way to the house, Kali in his footsteps. The only person they hadn't seen yet was Maggie, but she saw them since they got here from the large white balcony.

Once inside, Kali was blown away by the elegance of the house. She had never stepped foot inside when she was here before. Growing up she didn't live a great and grand house, it was a simple house fit for the country life.

They made their way up the stairs to the study. The balcony door was open and they could see Maggie sitting in the rocker beside the door with Hershel in his playpen. "Why is she here," she asked her southern voice laced with anger.

"Maggie...," Rick tried but Maggie spoke again.

"Get her out of my house. If you want to talk to me that's fine Rick, but we will not discuss community problems with her here."

Rick turned to look at Kali. "Like I wanted to be here anyway," she said loud enough that Maggie could here. Kali turned and left the room.

The pair upstairs were quiet as they listen to Kali leave the house and the door downstairs closed. They could see Kali walk towards the car and stop in the driveway just looking around at the hustle and bustle of the community around her.