Chapter 12

The next day Rick tried to get Kali to talk to him, but she refused. He sat beside her bed and waiting, but she turned away from him and stared at the wall. His words were left unanswered as Kali refused to answer or even look at him. Deep down she wanted to turn over and yell at him. She wanted to cry.

Negan was her best friend and she was his. Since that day on the streets that they met, the two were inseparable. From finding that group with Dwight and Sherry to being taken down by Rick and Co, she believed in him. There were times, of course, that she did not agree with everything he did, and she made sure he knew it.

Two days later, Rick tried again. He was making his way into the infirmary when the saw Siddiq helping Kali take small steps through the window. He couldn't help but smile at the sight. Her steps were shaky and uneven at first with Siddiq by her side. Rick made his way up the stairs and inside the house. When he opened the door, both Kali and Siddiq looked at him. Kali's eyes were full of malice when she met his eyes.

"I'm done for today," she told Siddiq. "Can you help me back," Kali asked trying to turn around.

"I'll help," Rick volunteered walking over to the pair.

Kali rolled her eyes. "I'm good thanks. I'd rather fall," she said putting her good arm against the wall trying to steady herself enough to walk.

Rick walked forward and slipped her arm around the back of shoulders. "You're going to hurt yourself," he told her as he slowly walked her down the hallway.

"Good," she snapped. "Your people couldn't finish the job by shooting me, so I'll just do it myself," she quipped.

It was Rick's turn to roll his eyes. Once they reached the room, he gently helped her sit down on the small twin bed. "We don't know who shot you, Kali. We're trying to figure it out."

"Probably that feisty Latino girl y'all got. The one that tried to kill me before. Rosita, right? Finally got her shot and fucking missed. Maybe it was that dingy, greasy haired redneck. He didn't seem to like me either. Doesn't matter. As soon as I'm better I'm gone. I'm not staying here," she told hard brown eyes staring into his hardening blues.

Rick shook his head and brought his hand to his forehead. "Kali, can we talk about this at another time? Maybe once you are all healed up."

"Fine Rick. Still won't change my find. There's nothing left for me in this area anymore anyways. You killed Negan. I'll stay till this fucking sling comes off, but then I'm leaving."

Rick slowly shook his head as he made his way towards the door. "Get some rest. You made some progress today. I'll get ya out of here soon," he told her walking out of the door and down the hallway. Kali listened to his boots as he walked down the wooden hallway.

Kali laid back on the bed pulling the covers over her body. She laid there listening to the two men talk in hushed tones as she drifted to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

"How long till she's able to get out of here," Rick asked the doctor keeping his voice low.

"Rick," Siddiq said exasperated, "she's just now getting back on her feet. You saw how unsteady she was. She's going to have to have therapy for her arm once it gets healed. Plus, her legs. I think this is the best place for her to stay right now."

"We can get her a cane or there's a wheelchair around here that we can get her to roll around with for a while, while you do your therapy. She won't like it, but we need to try and integrate her into the community as a member, not a prisoner. We need to make everyone see that she's one of us now. That if anything happens to her, the person will be treated like they hurt one of us."