Chapter 16

The days passed slowly for Kali. Each morning she jerked awake from her sleep after having a nightmare about Regina and the saviors. It got so bad for a while that she refused to sleep. She refused too much of anything really. Kali stayed to herself in her room in Rick's house.

For the past month, Rick mainly would come into her room to bring her something to eat and find her sitting in the chair by her window staring blankly in the abyss outside. Other times he would just check in on her, but she wouldn't pay him attention.

The only person that Kali seemed to pay attention to was Judith. The little girl would sneak into her room bringing her dolls in there getting Kali to play with her. Rick would stand in the crack of the door watching the two. It made him smile seeing the woman interact and smile with the little girl. So, it wasn't a surprise when Judith had gotten Kali outside the house and the two were playing in the garden.

Rick and Michonne sat on the stairs of their porch watching. Judith had snuck into Kali's room early this morning and begged and begged until the woman caved into her pleas of playing outside. Spring was starting to finally show its presence and after being forced to play inside all winter, Judith wanted Kali to play with her outside.

The pair had a blanket spread out in the grass on the outside of the garden. Judith was playing with her doll, making it have a conversation with the one that Kali was holding. Kali looked up to see Rick approaching.

Swiftly, he scooped Judith up causing the young girl to squeal when he picked her up. He quickly turned her around and effortlessly tossed the little girl in the air causing Judith's cries of laughter to fill the air. Kali smiled at the sight of the father and daughter. Rick placed the little girl on his hip and gave her a funny look with his face scrunched. Judith laughed reaching for his face causing Kali to laugh.

"Will you go with momma, so Kali and I can have a talk," Rick asked the little girl in his arms looking down at her.

Judith shook her head against her father's chest. "No daddy. I want Kali," she half whined.

"Please," Rick says drawing the word out in a playful manner for the child. "Just for a little bit. I need to talk to Miss Kali."

Kali stood from her place on the blanket. "We can play right after Judi. I promise. Let me and your daddy talk. Okay? It won't take long," she interjected when she saw Judith was about to protest again.

"Okay miss Kali," Judith agreed. Rick put her down on her feet and gently patted her on the seat of her pants. Judith took off in a beeline towards Michonne who sat on the stairs of their porch. A wide smile was on her face when she took Judith into a big hug. Kali couldn't let but smile at the younger girl's giggles with her mom.

"Let's go for a walk," Rick said to Kali gesturing down the road. The pair walked down the road away from the hustle and bustle of the community down the road lined with houses on each side. "How are you," Rick asked turning his head to look at her.

"I'm fine," she replied looking straight forward as they walked.

"You haven't gotten out much since you've been back."

Kali gave him a 'mmhmm' in response. She really didn't want to talk about the saviors and what they did.

They didn't make it much farther until Rick stopped in the road. "What is it, Rick?"

"Are you okay? After everything that's happened. I know it's been tough, but you're still here. You're still fighting."

Kali rolled her head and looked at him annoyed for a second before she threw her hands out. "I'm fine Rick. No thoughts of ending it all if that's what you're wondering."