The New News

This is mainly a get to know your character story... the real ALDC action happens next chapter!

******

"Aurelia! Hurry, your mother will be here soon to pick you up." Ms Crystal, my dance teacher, calls from the door of the studio. I quickly land my fouettés, making that twenty two. "Oh, and," she walks over to me and gently places her hands on my shoulders. "You need to keep these relaxed, don't tense up and bring your shoulders to your ears." I grin and dip my head in gratitude. She pulls away and we stare at each other in an awkward silence for a few moments. I won't be seeing Ms Crystal for a few weeks because I am going back to LA for a while to visit my family.

A loud rev of a car engine knocks us out of our thoughtful thinking and I give her a brief hug before dashing into the dressing room, grabbing my suitcase and hurrying outside. My mother stands there smiling beside her Porsche and I throw my bags in the back and quickly hop in.

"How's it been so far?" She asks as I try in vain to evade her kisses.

"Amazing, Ms Crystal is such an inspirational coach and I can't wait to be going back August. Although, I did miss Eben, Finis and Hiram and you of course!"

"They sure did miss you!" My mother smiles again, pulling out of the parking lot.

Soon we're on the motorway and conversation starts up again. However, my mother seems slightly subdued as of earlier and she keeps throwing guilty glances out the window when she thinks I'm not looking.

"What's wrong Mother?" I ask quietly. My mother's eyes widen immediately as if she'd been caught doing something wrong.

"Nothing Aurelia. I'm fine."

"I know thats not true," I say, trying to extract it out from her. "You've been upset ever since we left Ohio."

There was a long silence before my mother gave me a remorseful stare. "The truth is," she started slowly, contemplating whether she really wanted to tell me still. "You're not going back to Ohio. I got a call the other day asking for you to join a different competition team. It's far more local so you'll get to see your brothers more and I looked up so reviews this morning and apparently it is much better than Ohio."

My mouth falls open. I decide not to talk because I am not sure what I might say. I can't decide whether I'm mad or sad or happy to be moving teams. I might never see Ms Crystal again or my team.

"Okay," I say quietly, "I'll try it out for two weeks and then I will see whether I want to stay or not." My mother nods in understanding. "What is it called though?"

"ALDC - Abby Lee Dance Centre. Apparently she never calls in dancers to join. Everyone has to go to open call auditions or compete in her special competition to even get a shot at being recognised, so consider yourself very lucky." I nod my head and close my eyes and fall into a soft sleep.

*

I am awoken by my mother shaking my shoulder.

"We've arrived at the airport. Come on."

We take our bags and check in. Our flight is at midnight so we buy some salad and I buy two books and some sweets for the journey. I check social media and I find that Hiram has a new girlfriend. I quickly text him to ask why he didn't tell me first, but I remember he is at a premiere tonight and won't be able to pick up.

We finally board our plane and I settle down in my First Class seat. I watch a movie before sleeping for the next four hours.

*

"Please secure your seatbelt for landing." Booms the pilot and I connect the belt together. As my mother and I walk out of departures I spot two familiar faces.