Gone Like the Wind

So, this is really bad because I was speed writing, but it was my b-day yesterday so pls enjoy this chapter. Also, I know y'all love longer chapters but I though you would prefer quicker updates instead for this one

***

"In fifth place," announces the judge, before pronouncing a name I don't recognise. My nerves rack up as fourth place is mentioned. "In fourth place in our pre-teen soloists category is act 42 Jojo with Shattered." From the wings, I clap for Jojo, feeling as a small pressure has been relieved. There's still Kimberley to face. To make matters worse, I didn't see her solo so I have no idea what I'm going up against.

"Excuse me, sir," I turn politely to one of the backstage men. "If we were to be announced for an award would we be allowed to go on stage?"

"Absolutely not. You were late so we can't let you on," he says roughly. I nod my head and duck away from him.

"In third place is act 52 Rae with Old Place." Not Kimberley then, but not me either. From the curtains I can feel the cameras on me. I try to keep a straight face as Maddie moves to clench my sweaty hands.

"And our runner up; in second place is..." Did they notice my slip up? Have I finally been outshone , reached my peak, tried to hard, gone too far? "Is act 41- '' - that's my number. "Kimberley with Rise Up." What? I think as I feel tears border my eyes. No one moves. From my vantage point, I can see Kimberley glowering at me, challenging me to walk out. I can't.

She, fortunately, gives up first. I let nothing show on my monotonous face. As Kimberley collects her award it finally dawns on me that under the circumstances, I've won. If I calculate all the hours I spent only five on that solo and I've pulled it through. Though I still can't receive my rightful award.

"And our overall winner of the pre-teen division is... Act 40 Aurelia with Shattered!"

"That's me, sir," I whisper to the man again.

"I'm afraid I still can't let you on."

I bite my lip and signal with my head to Brynn to go collect it. Kendall, however, has other ideas. She sprints from the wings before the man can stop her and collects it. Everyone knows it's not me though. I, too, try to reach the stage, but the man now has a firm grip on my arm and I stop trying. Maddie and I hug each other as we wait sadly in the wings.

"Now onto duets and trios..." I tune the announcer out as I sit there, defeated. My ears pick up neither Maddie's or I's names and I feel particularly suspicious when we reach first place.

"Now, in first place we have a draw. Both with 298.6 points we have Act 33 Lost Song by Maddie, Brynn and Kalani and also Act 35 We've Waited Long Enough by Aurelia and Josue!" Maddie and I both sit slumped. She rest her head and my shoulder, tears glimmering in her eyes. I suspect it's not only that we can't go on stage and that we drew, she's probably missing Kenzie. I, for one, certainly am.

Brynn Kalani and Josue go up together. No one asks where we are, which saddens me but I'm not surprised. Since I came to ALDC the moms have never accepted me, so in competitions I'm just another number, an extra face in a crowd of dancers trying to get noticed.

At least we beat Kimberley in both the duets and solos, a small voice in my head says.

"And, our overall first place group dance goes to...Abby Lee Dance Company with The Circus Curse!" My team jumps up and I spy Kendall wrapping her arms round Marcus, my trophy in her hand. What caused her to do that? How did the tides change?

*

Back in the dressing room Maddie and I sit separately from everyone else as they come in talking. Abby marches in and looks disappointedly at us.