What Are You Afraid Of?

"it still is! i'm i right, boys?" richie chuckled as he held up his had to high five stanley.  addison grabbed his wrist and put his had down.

"91 people signed the charter that made derry, but later that winter they all disappeared without a trace," ben explained.

"the entire camp?" eddie asked.

"there were rumors of indians, but no sign of an attack," the boy said," everyone just thought it was a plague or something.  but it's like one day everybody just woke up and left.  they only clue was a trail of bloody clothes leading to the well house."

everyone was looking closely at the walls.

"where's the well house?" billy asked.

"i don't know," ben said.  "no one knows."

The kids were biking home when richie pulled up next to addison. the two were in the back of the group.

"i was wondering," he started," if you'd like to go out with me?"

"i'd like that, tozier," she said with a smile. he grinned.

"how about tomorrow at 3ish," he said. the girl nodded and the two parted ways, going home.

✧THE NEXT MORNING✧

ring, ring... ring, ring...

"i'll get it!" addison said as her sister left the house. the girl ran to the phone and answered.

"hello?" she said. she heard billy talking at a million miles a minute.

"billy, billy! slow down," she said. the boy repeated what he was saying.

"okay, i'll meet you guys," she said as she got up. she ran to out the door and got on her bike. the girl met up with the boys on elm street and they biked together until they got to beverly's apartment. beverly saw them and ran down the stairs.

"i need to show you something," she said.

"what is it," eddie asked.

"more than what we say at the quarry," richie joked.

"just shut up, richie!" eddie said.

"my dad will kill me if he finds out i had boys in the apartment," beverly said.

"we'll k-keep a look out. richie st-stay here," billy said.

"w-" richie started to protest.

"i'll stay, too," addison said.

"wait what if her dad comes back?" richie asked as the kids were going up the stairs.

stanley turned around. "do what you always do, start talking!"

Thirty minutes had gone by and addison and richie were chatting at the bottom of the stairs. the two sat in silence after richie said something funny.

"addi?" he said. she turned to face him.

"yeah?" she asked. richie brushed her cheek with his hand.

"you don't need to answer, but how did you really get these cuts?" he asked. addison sighed and decided to tell him.

"my sister," she said. "when my dad was enlisted, she took it the hardest. she started using, getting anything from anyone who was selling. i remember her before. she was kind. but now, she's unpredictable."

richie stared at the girl and took her had in his.

"addison," was all he could get out. he pulled her into a hug and she cried into his shoulder.  she pulled away and wiped away her tears.  the boy gave her a reassuring smile.