Forgiveness

it was 10:30 when billy grabbed a pillow and a few blankets and laid them on the ground.  addison was in the bathroom changing into the t-shirt and sweatpants he gave her.  after a few minutes there was a knock at the door.

"addison," billy called. 

"give me a second, i'm still changing," she answered.

"okay, the extra toothbrushes are in the second drawer down on the right side," he said.

"thanks," she said as she hobbled to the sink.  the girl looked in the mirror and saw a tired and bruised girl staring back.  tears streamed down her face as the events from the day flashed in her mind.  the projector.  the house.  richie.  she pushed the thoughts aside and wiped her tears away.  after brushing her teeth and washing her face, she opened the door and saw billy sitting against the wall.  he stood up when the door opened and wrapped his arm around the girl to support her.  the boy sat her down on the bed and laid down on the floor.

"what are you doing?" addison asked.  he got under one of the blankets.

"just lying down," he said.

"no, i mean why are you on the ground?" she asked.

"y-you should have the bed, you're i-injured," he said.

"billy, you are not going to sleep on the ground in your own home," she exclaimed as she sat up.

"it's fine, r-r-really," he insisted.

"no, let me," she argued.

"no!" he exclaimed.

"then come up here," addison suggested.  he hesitated but eventually agreed.  she scooted over and left him half of the bed.  when they were comfortable, billy turned off the bedside light, shrouding them in darkness.  the only light was the moonlight that trickled through the trees in front of his window.  the two lied in silence until billy spoke.

"addison?" he asked.

"yeah?"

"am... am i crazy?" he asked, recalling stanley's comments.

"no," she said instantly.

"a-are you sure?" he asked.

"positive.  we were all there. we all saw it. we know that this thing is coming back."

they fell silent once more, leaving them to their thoughts.  addison couldn't stop thinking about richie and soon she realized that tears were streaming down her face.

"it'll b-be okay," she heard him say.  the girl turned and saw billy looking at her.  she quickly wiped the tears away.

"richie will come around.  he's just afraid," billy reasoned.

"what are we gonna do, bill?" she asked.

"I don't know."

addison and billy were eating breakfast on the couch as they watched TV.  after a good sleep and two aspirins, addison's leg was barely hurting.

"oh my god, captain crunch is so good," she said as she ate her cereal.  billy nodded and they continued to eat.  

when they were done, the two hung out for a bit but eventually addison had to leave.  

"thank you so much, billy," addison said as they stood by the door.

"no p-problem," he smiled.  addison walked out the door but quickly walked back towards him.  she pulled him into a tight hug, surprising the boy.