Fire of Hate

LATER THAT NIGHT

addison was reading in her room, by the window, as the sun was setting. her mother was asleep while reyna locked herself in her room. the girls eyes hurt from the amount she had read, so she put her book down to see richie climbing up her roof. she opened the window to greet him.

"you know we have a front door for a reason, tozier," she joked as he crawled to her window.

"it's more romantic this way," he smiled as he gave her a light peck on her lips.

"also, your mom won't know i'm here," he winked.

"shut up, richie!" addison exclaimed as she pulled him into her room.

It was almost midnight, addison and richie were lying on her bed.

"it's getting late," he said, suggesting he should leave. he began sitting up.

"five more minutes," addison said as she took his hand. he gave in and laid down next to her. the girl smiled and scooted closer to him, resting her chest on his head.

"i love you," richie said as he played with her braids. addison kissed him lightly, eventually it became more passionate. she sat on top of him as he smiled into the kiss.

"you are incre-" richie was cut off by a loud noise from outside.

"what the fuck?" addison asked as she got off him. she went to the window to find the source of the noise. it was horrifying.

a group of men wearing ominous, white robes were standing right in front of her house. they carries torches as they chanted a strange dialect.

"richie..." she trailed off. the boy came right to the window.

"oh my god," he said as she grabbed his hand. her head spun as her heart pounded. addison suddenly felt nauseous, the room started to spin and she grabbed richie for support.

"addison. we need to leave," richie said as he stared out the window. one of the members was pouring a liquid all over their driveway.

gasoline.

addison finally comprehended what was happening and the two of them ran out of her room.

"mom!" she screamed as the burst into her mother's room. the woman shot up and looked around.

"richie, what are y-" addison interrupted her.

"we need to leave," she said.

"what?"

"they're going to kill us. we need to leave," she exclaimed. her mother understood what was happening and quickly got out of bed.

"addison. listen to me carefully. i want you to go and pack a bag. only what you need. you're going to leave through the back door and hop the fence to the back neighbour's house and go to the police from there. okay? what ever happens, do not come back. promise me you won't come back," she insisted. the girl nodded and with that, she ran back to her room and threw a bunch of clothes in her backpack. she grabbed a small box from underneath her bed and handed it to richie.

"you smell that?" addison asked as they were about to leave her room. it was the smell of smoke. richie nodded and the two of them ran to the stairs. he was about to run down but addison stopped him.

"what?" he asked, his voice filled with worry.

"we need to avoid the windows. they could be watching," she said. they looked down the stairs, the warm glow of fire could be seen.

"ready?" she asked.

"ready."

the two teens slowly crawled to the backyard door and escaped the burning house.

in the cold, silent night, the only thing that could be heard was a blood curdling scream.

WORD COUNT: 608

song of the chapter: this is america by childish gambino