Sneaking around

Chapter 2

Clary was sitting at her desk, brushing her unruly red hair, as she waited for Jace. It had been two weeks since her birthday ball and Jace had been coming to meet her almost every night. A goofy smile spread on her lips as she thought about Jace, she had never felt this way about a boy before. She'd had a few crushes, but she'd never felt like this. Her skin burned where he touched her and her heart rate quickened at the sight of him, even time seemed to slow down when she was with him, though it was never enough. Clary sighed happily.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sound brought Clary out of her reverie. Jace. She thought as she stood up and walked out onto the balcony and looked over the railing.

"Hi," Jace said looking up at her, the moonlight shining in his golden locks.

"Hi," Clary smiled.

Jace took a couple steps back and looked up at the balcony with a calculating look. "What are you," Clary started to ask as he sprang from the ground, grabbed the top of the railing, and flipped himself over it and onto the balcony beside her, landing in a crouch.

Jace smiled at her wickedly. "That," he answered as he pulled her into his arms. Clary breathed in his sent, he smelled like sunshine and sweat.

"How did you do that," she asked as he let her go. Jace had been climbing up the wall with the help of a trellis, but it had been raining for a while, making it too slippery to climb. The trellis had also cracked a little under his wait before the rain and they didn't want to risk breaking it completely and then have to explain how to Clary's parents. So the last few nights Clary had been leaning over the railing and Jace had stayed on the ground.

Jace shrugged, "Don't quite know, I've always had heightened abilities."

"So you're like a Marvel hero and an X-Man," Clary said teasingly. Jace gave her a confused look. "You're amazing."

"Well, we already knew that," Jace said a bit cocky.

Clary couldn't help but laugh. It was another trait that Clary was surprised she loved. Usually Clary couldn't stand people who were full of themselves, but Jace was just, Jace.

"I wish we could see each other in the day light," Clary said wishfully.

"You must be kidding, do you know how many girls dream about sneaking around with me. Lots. And you have me all to yourself." Jace said with feigned shock.

"Jace."

"I know." Jace's voice had gotten very serious. "I wish we could didn't have to sneak around either. Why do we have to sneak around again?"

Clary sighed, because she knew her father had a list of suitable young men who came from good families and that he was probably trying narrow it down and plan an arrange marriage, and Clary highly doubted Jace was on that list.

"Because for some reason our fathers don't see eye to eye." She said a bit sadly.

"Oh, yes, that's why." Jace ran his ringers through his hair. "Maybe we could get our mothers to talk to them."

"Considering they haven't succeeded in that past I doubt they will succeed now." Clary said. "Maybe we could get them to talk it out. Figure out how to solve whatever problem they have with each other."

"Yeah, and then we'll ride off on magical unicorns."

Clary merely shook her head at his sarcastic remark.

"Any better plans" she said.

"Not at the moment, but I'll come up with something." He said as devilish gleam returning to his eyes as he once again pulled her closer. "I won't let them keep us apart." He said softly.

"Clarissa."

Clary and Jace jumped apart from each other at the sound of Valentine's voice as he opened the door to Clary's room. Clary gasped at the sight of her father, who by now had spotted Jace and red was creeping its way into his skin.

"What are you doing here," Valentine said his voice venomous and dangerously calm.

"Sir," Jace said, still shocked.

"I want you out of my house this instant." Valentine's voice was a little louder.

"Father," Clary tried, but her father glared at her, cutting her off.

Valentine bounded across the room in powerful steps and grabbed Jace by the color before he could react and started to pull him away from Clary.

"Father, please." Clary tried again, but Valentine ignored her as he pushed Jace out of her room and made his way down the stairs with him.

"Sir," Jace said, his voice gaining some strength as they reached the first level.

"Don't you talk to me. I want you out of my house and I never want you to talk to my daughter ever again. I don't want you anywhere near her." Valentine said his calm fading into controlled rage as he glared at Jace.

Clary stopped half way down the stairs.

"But, sir," Jace tried again.

"No. My daughter is too good for you. Stay away. You will regret it if you don't." Valentine said, his voice getting more dangerous by the second. "Now get out of my house." He said as he let go of Jace and pushed him towards the door and walked away.

Clary had made it a few more steps before she had crumpled onto the steps and started to cry. "Jace," she said as he looked up at her. "Don't go." She whispered, tears still streaming down her face.

Jace looked behind him and then took her hand. "I don't care what he says, I will see you again."

Clary nodded and Jace kissed her hand and walked quickly to the door. Clary sat there a few second after the door had closed behind him. Forcing her tears back she stood up and went back up to her room and ran out onto her balcony. Clary caught the gleam of the moon off of his hair before he disappeared behind a row of trees.