Midnight rondevu

Chapter 4

Clary was desperate to see Jace and time seemed to be passing slower than molasses. Even more so since her parents had announced to her at supper that she was indeed engaged to Sebastian Verlac. Clary had hoped her mother wouldn't agree with her father, but she had been wrong, her mother had smiled happily the entire meal. What made Clary even more upset was the fact that her wedding was already being planned and would be in a few months, it made her want to die.

Finally Clary couldn't wait any longer; she walked out onto her balcony and looked down. It wasn't that far of a drop and she was a shadowhunter. Sure she had never fought any demons because her father refused, but she had gone through all the necessary training. With a deep breath she threw one leg and then the other over the railing. She was very careful to hang onto the railing the entire time. She then grabbed the bars of the rail and let her feet dangle over the edge. Sliding her hands down she grabbed the edge of the balcony and braced herself. With another deep breath she let go and dropped to the ground, landing in a crouch as her feet hit the ground. Smiling, she quickly went to the part of the garden where she would meet Jace.

As she neared the meeting spot she paused, her heart feeling heavy. She had to tell him about her father's plans, but she didn't want to lose him. Not by her father's will or by Jace's own. Clary shook the thoughts from her head, she was just overthinking things. Tentatively she walked around the corner of the trees that surrounded one of her favorite spots of the garden. It was a little clearing in a way that was shaped like a circle. Located in the center was a small fountain, on the outer perimeter were benches and a couple lanterns, the floor hear was marble and not stone like the rest of the garden, and there were many different kinds of flowers that made a circle between the marble and trees that surrounded it.

She walked towards the fountain and looked around, not seeing anything but shadows of the garden from the moon. Then out of the corner of her eye she saw movement and turned around. She caught a glimpse of golden hair before the figure stepped out of the shadows. Clary smiled and her heart leaped as she ran into his open arms.

"Clary," Jace said as her caught her and wrapped his arms around her.

When he let go she took a step back and looked up at him. "I missed you." She said looking him in the eye.

"I missed you too. I'm sorry it took me so long. Your father is making it harder and harder to get messages to you."

"I'm surprised he'd have time," Clary said a bit bitterly.

Jace looked at her questioningly. "What do you mean?"

Clary took another step back and looked down, wrapping her arms around herself. Jace said her name again, and she closed her eyes for a second. Not daring to look up she said, "My father has been looking for me a husband."

"Well, we knew that, everyone knew that. That was one of the reasons for the ball on your birthday, so that young men like me could have a chance to talk with you."

"He- he found one," Clary said softly, sadness overwhelming her even with Jace so near to her.

Clary heard a slight intake of breath and then silence. She just stood there looking at the ground as Jace continued not to speak, whishing he would. The longer the silence continued the more Clary's heart seemed to tighten as more and more doubts fealed her head. Jace still hadn't said anything and Clary was beginning to think that he would just give her up and move on, now that there seemed to be no way they could ever be together. The thought of him not caring enough to fight for her made her heart shatter and her throat feel tight. She was turning to bolt when a hand caught her wrist; she still didn't dare look up.