Change in the air

Chapter 10

Back inside the house, Clary made her way towards the refreshment table yet again, her throat had suddenly becomes dry and she needed something to drink. She was just about there when someone wrapped their arms around her from behind, causing Clary to tense up. The owner of the arms let out a familiar chuckle and Clary's body relaxed immediately.

"I found you." The words tickled her ear a little.

"You can be so intolerable at times." Clary said as she turned around and looped her arms around the young man's neck.

"Aw, and here I thought I was perfect in your eyes." Sebastian said with a mischievous smile.

Clary sighed and rolled her eyes playfully as she stepped back a little. "Perfect? Hardly. But I suppose you can be pretty darn close sometimes."

This gained her another smirk as Sebastian led her to a corner of the room, away from the swarm of guests.

"So, why did your father steal you away from me?" Clary asked as she turned to face him.

"He wanted me to meet an old friend of his and then a slew of others came along to congratulate me. Took every ounce of my conniving ability to get away from them."

Clary laughed and brought a smile to Sebastian's face, reminding Clary of what he had said when they had been outside and causing her to blush. Sebastian chuckled again and kissed her forehead.

"What was that for?" Clary asked blushing even more.

Sebastian brushed a loose piece of hair behind her ear and let his fingers linger there a second more than necessary. "Because you make me happy," he said softly.

For some reason this made Clary extremely happy and feeling brave she reached up and placed a quick kiss on his lips, leaving him with a look of surprise on his face.

"You make me happy too," Clary said as he continued to stare at her.

Suddenly Sebastian picked her up at her waist and spun her around in a circle before sitting her back down.

"I am so glad that you are going to be mine." Sebastian said. Coming from most those words would have sounded demeaning almost in a way but coming from Sebastian they sounded sweet. But that was probably due to the fact that they had a sound of disbelief in them.

"You should be considering there's not another girl like me out there in the world." Clary teased.

"No, there's not is there?" Sebastian said. "So tell me what would you..." Sebastian died off as his attention drifted from her to something else, his eyes looking beyond her with an almost hard expression. Clary tried to look behind her to see what it was that had caught Sebastian's eye, but couldn't see anything but the happy party-goers.

"Sebastian?" Clary said softly

Sebastian jerked his attention back to Clary before looking back. "I'm sorry, Clary, but I'm afraid I have some business I need to attend to."

"Sebastian."

"I'll see you tomorrow, have a good time." And with that Sebastian quickly disappeared.

Clary sighed and decided to go back to the punch bowl; she never had gotten herself something to drink. She then tried to kill the next few hours by mingling, something she hated to do but there wasn't really anything else to do.

Clary had just finished talking to a friend of her mother's when a scream from outside was heard and everything went into a frenzy. Looking around Clary couldn't see anything besides men hustling towards the doors as some women went with them and others tried to get out of the way and retreat to the back of the room. Clary tried to inch her way towards the doors as well until a pair of hands gripped her arm and pulled her back.

"No you don't, young lady, you stay right here." Valentine said as he gave her a pointed look.

"Yes, sir," Clary said reluctantly before adding. "Be careful."

Her father kissed her forehead and followed the others who were going to investigate.

Sorry that this chapter was extremely short compared to the others. Will try to make the next one longer if possible.