chapter ten- I'm gon give you the world

Daria
“She's doing it.” Greta leaned into the bar beside me, Jake behind the bar watching too. It was quiet tonight, the strip club closed because a few of the men were gone away since yesterday. Only the club and this private section for selected members was open. We were practically empty in comparison to most nights; the back tables were bare along with there being room to walk through the room without bumping into someone.
The men, including Fox and Smiles had gotten on their bikes yestersay evening and left, leaving Zip behind in charge. Currently Zip was standing by the doors, one hand crossed over his chest while the other held a phone to his ear. Smirking his eyes remained on the stage. We were much the same, unable to look away. That was due to the fact that Aurora was hanging upside-down on the pole in the middle of the stage, absolutely killing it.
“She's doing it and she's killing it. I didn't think she had it in her.” Jake added. This was Auroras second dance of the night, one she refused to not do, having told us all to “back off” when we tried to reason with her.
“Did you know she could pole dance?” Greta asked me nudging my elbow with hers.
“Greta, I can't even process what is happening right now. ” I said back quickly running to get an order off someone who was waving me over before rejoining them at the bar.
“Well fuck me, here we go.” Jake said as I deposited the empty glasses from the table on the bar. Looking at his face I turned to see what he was looking at. I froze.
Just inside the door stood Smiles, his eyes glued to Aurora on the stage who was currently swaying to the music, completely fixed on the song not her surroundings.  Zip stood beside him grinning wolfishly.
“Oh shit. We need to get her down off there.” Greta said sounding frantic as she pulled me back stage quickly.
“How are you planning on doing that? Hm?” I asked, running to keep up with her. She burst into the back studio where the dj controlled the music and lights.
“The boys want the lights to turn off, part of her appeal to get the boys more rowdy. Said to tell the men to get another drink and hang tight for the next dance, keep them keen. ” Greta smiled cockily, completely masking her worry. The dj had hardly nodded back before we were gone from the room again. Standing just begind the curtain, Greta waited until the lights had been shut out before she darted out and grabbed Aurora, dragging her back towards me. She shoved and pushed us into the back changing room, locking the door behind us.
“What did I say?” she snapped and she turned to pin Aurora in place with her glare. “I said no. Didn't I? Jesus, you two!” she threw her hands up, letting them fall to smack against her thighs. “Why on earth are you two drawing attention to us? Do your jobs! We sit and we wait until Enzo delivers and we get the hell out. What are you guys playing at? You think you can fuck with these boys? news flash girls, we are hostages!” she finished on a yell, her face scrunched up in anger. We didn't get time to reply, not that I had one because there was a sudden banging on the door.
“Open up.” Smiles voice came through the wood and I heard Auroras soft whimpered breath behind me. Shit. “Not going to say it again. I have to break this door down, I won't be happy." slowly Greta went forward and flipped the lock before the three of us backed up, Aurora hiding in the back. My eyes didn't move from the door as it swung open to reveal Smiles and Zip. Smiles eyes zeroed in on Aurora.
“You're with me. Now.” he rumbled. Fox joined the men, suddenly, the room extremely sufficating.
“Someone want to explain why Jake is out there kicking out our customers two hours early?” Fox spoke but no one spoke.
“She's with me.” Smiles repeated and Fox followed his gaze to Aurora.
“You know what you're doing?” Fox asked, his eyes still on Aurora.
“She's with me.” Smiles repeated once again, his face set in stone.
“Go to him, girl.” Fox addressed Aurora and slowly she stepped around us, moving toward Smiles.  Once she was close enough he reached forward and grabbed her, bringing her with him out of the room, disappearing down the hall.
“Leave us.” Fox spoke and surprisingly it was Greta who moved first, exiting the room, her face like granite. Zip followed after her, closing the door.
“Fox-"
“Did you dance?”he asked quietly. Deadly.
“Sorry?”  I pushed out, unsure what to say.
“Did you dance?” he repeated slower, but in the same deadly voice. I swallowed.
“No, I didn't." I said back slowly.
“You won't.” he said back crossing his arms over his chest. I shook my head.
“Smiles I get, but you? You told us we earn our freedom from now on. Everything we make goes toward going home right? We will make more dancing and-" I spoke up and he interrupted, “They don't see you like that.” He said.
“What difference does it make? Why fo you care?” I asked struggling to keep my voice even.
“I don't. ”he said back, jaw clenched and I laughed bitterly.
“So much bullshit in this air right now.” I said rolling my eyes.  He uncrossed his arms stepping towards me.
“Watch it, little bird-“ he started but I snapped. I was tired, it was late and my heels were killing my feet.
“Or what? I'm not your little bird so cut that shit-" I snapped throwing my hands up. He raced me and I backed up hastily. Tripping I fell back onto the couch in the corner but that didn't deter him and he came in over me, hand grabbing the couch beside my head while his other hand wrapped around my neck, tilting my chin up.
“I can't.” he whispered and I froze. His eyes were on mine, holding them captive. “I won't be able stop myself if I see them watching you like that. ” he ground out and my breath caught at his admission.
“You won't even be here.” I whispered back.
“I'm always here. ”  his voice was as low as mine and I blinked confused at his words. “Cameras, babe.” He explained.
“I dont- I-" I couldn't think, my brain blanking at his words and the look in his eyes. “Why?” I eventually finished and he tilted his head in question. “Why do you care?” I whispered and his eyes dropped to my mouth. I licked my lips without thinking, watching his eyes darken.
“I don't know. ” he said back. A thought popped into my head.
“What about your Mindy?” I whispered and regretted it immediately as I watched his face shut down, shutting me out. He pushed up away from me.
“Don't dance.” He said evenly, voice back to normal and I stilled at its change. I pushed forward through it, though, ignoring the fear creeping up my throat.
“What is she to you?” I asked again, sitting up, eyes on him.
“She's not your business.” he answered and I shook my head at him watching him watch me.
“She isn't?” I asked raising my eyebrows at him, calling bullshit once again. His jaw clenched.
“I don't explain myself, not on who I fuck, not on anything. Certainly not to you.” He said back and I swallowed again pushing forward.
“Then neither do I. ” I said, knowing I was risking it but needed to get some sort of reaction. I got one. Ice filled the room as his rage spread like a glacier, slow to creep up on you but once it was on you it was impossible not to feel its shards in your skin.
“No one... no one touches you.” he spoke each word distinctly.
“Even you?” my voice wobbled, my skin beyond clammy. He looked me up and down before returning to my eyes.
“You won't dance, little bird.” He said it like a statement but he wanted confirmation. I didn't give it to him, I couldn't. It was something that needed to be discussed with the girls. “You'll stay away from Jake as well.” He added and I shot to my feet in outrage. He followed my movements with his eyes.
“Can I breathe or is that out too?” I snapped and to my shock, and disgust, his blank expression cracked. A slight twitch of his lip revealed his amusement.
“Of course.” his voice held laughter though he didn't let it show.
“You're unbelievable. ” I admonished and in return got a smile. He had the mood swings of a teen girl.
“Tomorrow, little bird, I'll be watching.” He left the room without a backward glance. It took me sometime before I gathered my things and made my way out to the back entrance of the club where I could see the van waiting with just Zip inside. Foz was long gone. When we arrived back at the club house and I entered our room I noted that Auroras bed was empty. I stood and stared unsure how I felt about that.
“People who play with fire, Ria.” Gretas voice came through the darkness, reminding me of words my brother had always told us growing up. I didn't reply, I simply slipped into my bed. My body in a state of caution, Gretas words screaming through my head what my body was screaming at me; I was very close to getting burned.