Chapter nineteen- I walk on water

Fox 
I woke to my phone vibrating across my table beside my bed, the screen lighting up the room. It was past three in the morning, I was alone. Briefly I wondered where Daria was before my eyes adjusted and I caught the number on the screen. Rolling to sitting I grabbed it.
“You better have a good reason for calling at this hour.” I rumbled down the phone. My mind still half on the fact that Daria wasn't in the bed where she should have been, cuddled into my side. Reaching across I felt that the sheets were still warm, she hadn't been gone long.
“We have the money, every last cent of it. We'll be there by nightfall tomorrow evening. I want my girls back.” Enzo spoke down the phone, solidifying something I knew was coming.
“Your old lady might not want to go... she's enjoyed it here.” I baited him, my words a lie but he didn't need to know.
“You son of a bitch, I'll kill you!” Enzo snarled back and I grinned.
“Now you know what happened last time you went up against me-” I started, letting amusement leak into my voice.
“Daria will run from you once she sees me, I don't care what I'm hearing about you and her.” He interrupted me, causing all amusement to leave me. I didn't reply.
"She belongs with us, we're taking her back." his voice was harsh, a spit of fire to his words and I felt its flame run down my spine.
I still didn't reply because while I knew there was logic to his words I couldn't stop the curl of fury like a snake slithering up my body as the claim shot through my head, untamed.
She is mine, she belongs to me.
"Come get her." I invited, the threat evident in my voice and I heard him scoff in return.
"You have asked for what is coming, Fox." he snarled down the phone before hanging up and I felt it in the pit of my stomach. Our time was up.

“You have to look at the bigger picture here brother, I know she matters to you but you try to keep her after the debts been paid, we lose a lot of credit. You'll fuck our name.” Zip spoke down the phone to me as I sat watching Daria dip her toes in the lake, too far away to hear the conversation.
“I'm not ready.” Was all I replied and I heard him sigh in return.
“You havent got a choice. The brotherhood or the bitch, Fiachra. Thats what it boils down to at this point because I don't see how you can have both without someone getting hurt. You decide but remember, you're sitting here thinking she won't run straight for her brother at the first opportunity. You could ruin everything you are, we are all for a girl who won't look back. Don't risk it.” He reasoned and I felt his words in my gut.
“Let her go.” I whispered watching her hair blow gently in the breeze.
“let her go. There will be others.” Zip agreed lightly, knowing more than anyone else what the situation was with me. I took my time thinking it through and Zip waited patiently on the other side.
“He'll be here this evening. Prepare everyone, the girls will go unharmed and we leave this in the dust their bikes raise when they ride away yeah?” I said feeling more than I expected as the words left my mouth. Daria was making her way towards me , a gentle smile lighting her pretty face.
Prettiest smile I've ever seen, I thought to myself.
"You're doing right, Fox." Zip replied, relief evident in his voice. She dropped elegantly at my side as I hung up the phone without replying to him.
“Who was that?” she asked and I shook my head slightly.
“Club business babe, you know the rules.” I replied and she nodded accepting. Fuck, perfect.
“Right so we have all day and I know where's a good place to start with it. Want to play twenty questions? Get to know as much about each other as we can?” she grinned happily, her eyes twinkling up at me.
“You're something else. ” I smirked at her and she winked.
“You don't even know the half of it, Fiachra.” she laughed and while I smiled back, her words cut deep. She was right, I didn't and I doubt I would ever get the chance to.

She was walking close enough to me I could grab her hand and tuck her into my side if I wanted to. I didn't though, because I'd gotten word already, they were two minutes out. This was it. Zip erupted out the door, words flying from his mouth but I didn't hear them, I heard the approaching bikes.
I felt the minute she froze and spun, watching the bikes rumble into our land. I turned fully to face them before breaking away from her and stepping closer to them, my brothers coming up to my sides as we took stand in a line. Her voice whispered out my name, the uncertainty and shock clear but I didnt reply. I didn't acknowledge I had heard her. I wasn't the man to give her false hope or a sign that I had her because Zip was right, I'd worked my whole life for my brothers, I wasn't going to put them in war and tarnish their name for a girl who in any second would race for her brother in the exact same manner Greta would do; the minute she got a chance. Unconstrained delight and relief would be heavy in the air from them.
“Debts paid.” Enzo spat across the air, his eyes glued to me. The bag of cash landed with a thump between us. “I'm bringing my girls home.” He finished, a smug smile on his face and I settled in and waited. Greta moved first, racing across the ground to hurl herself into Enzos arms. Wrapping her tight to his side, I watched Enzos eyes move past me to his sister as he nodded encouragingly. Gretas move was made, her side chosen.
It was time for Daria to make hers.