You Really Put the 'Profess' in 'Professor'

A/N - Short chapter is short. I have no excuses. Though I did update a bit earlier than usual, so...equivalence? Also, just a heads up, all the alchemy talk in this chapter is based off of my knowledge from reading the manga/watching the show. If it's not accurate, then let me know.

"blah blah"- Speaking Greek

"blah blah"- Speaking Amestrian

'blah blah'- Thinking

*<*<*>*>* - Begin/end flashback

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Percy Jackson. Good thing too, or they wouldn't be nearly as good as they are now. They belong to J.K. Rowling, Hiromu Arakawa, and Rick Riordan. Just to be safe, I also don't own the song 'This is War' by Thirty Seconds to Mars.

Edward

"...so the 'structural matrix' is composed of the symbols, and all the symbols represent something, and that's what causes something to change form?"

Edward nodded at the girl sitting across from him. "Basically. Also, the size and detail of whatever you want to transmute depends on the size and complexity of your circle." Ed grabbed a spare paper from the disorderly library table and drew a simple transmutation circle. "This circle will transmute a small amount of stone into a perfect square. It's a simple transmutation, so the structural matrix is also simple."

     Susan nodded, tapping the end of her quill against her chin. She was one of Ed's more enthusiastic students; eager to learn and quite smart on top of it. Ed's outburst in the library had scared off most of his students, but she had approached him the next day as if nothing had happened.

     Edward wasn't annoyed; he actually enjoyed spending time with her. She was eleven years old, four years younger than him, and she reminded him of Alphonse in some ways. Intelligent, curious, and with a sarcastic streak that hid behind a sweet personality. Maybe it was because he missed Al so much, but Ed found himself being drawn to the aspiring alchemist.

"Do you have any siblings, Susan?" Ed asked. It seemed that in all of their meetings, they only talked about alchemy. Normally Ed would be fine with that, but he wanted to get to know her more.

Susan glanced up, startled by the sudden subject change. "Yes sir, I have a brother who's eight years older than me, and another younger sibling is due in two months." She smiled proudly at the mention of the baby. "What about you, Professor?"

Ed frowned in annoyance. "Seriously, stop calling me 'sir' and 'professor'. I'm fifteen, not thirty."

"Right, sorry," Susan said, a faint blush creeping up her cheeks. "I forgot."

"It's alright." Ed returned to her question. "I have a brother. He's a year younger than me."

Susan brightened, her brown eyes gleaming with interest. "Is he an alchemist too?" She asked eagerly.

Edward nodded with a smile.

"Is he as good as you?"

"Not quite, but he's still a great alchemist. He's definitely a better fighter," Ed added fondly.

"Does he beat you all the time then?" Susan asked mischievously.

"Every time," Ed sighed with mock despair.

"Is he in the military like you?"

Ed froze. "No." He replied quietly. "I would never let him carry a burden like that."