You Really Put the 'Guilt' in 'Guiltless'

A/N - 100+ followers on ff.net?! Awesome! I never thought this story would be so popular when I started it. Thank you guys so much! Also, out of the 7 of you who reviewed, only like, 3 of you showed any concern for Susan. And after I went to all that trouble to make her lovable. Anyway, enjoy this angsty chapter I've created for you.

"blah blah"- Speaking Greek

"blah blah"- Speaking Amestrian

'blah blah'- Thinking

*<*<*>*>* - Begin/end flashback

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Percy Jackson. Good thing too, or they wouldn't be nearly as good as they are now. They belong to J.K. Rowling, Hiromu Arakawa, and Rick Riordan. Just to be safe, I also don't own the song 'This is War' by Thirty Seconds to Mars.

Edward

     When it came to gut instincts, Edward wasn't very attuned. He didn't usually get a 'bad feeling' that warned him of something about to go wrong. Then someone would speak, and he would realize. 'Brother, something doesn't feel right...' He would realize, but by then it was too late. 'Big brother Ed?' Too late to do anything but regret. He was always too late. And it wasn't any different now.

     There was no one to speak, no one to warn him of what he would see when he turned the corner, no warning at all. He hadn't heard footsteps, or a cry of pain, a scream for help, nothing. He had turned the corner with no warning, and was met with absolute shock as he tried to discern what was happening, because it couldn't possibly be what he was actually seeing.

"Susan?! Susan!! No no no no..."

     But it was, and the scientific side of his mind calmly informed him that with that much blood on the ground, and the area of what seemed to be a stab wound, there was no way she would live. He ignored that, the desperate side of his mind taking control as he lunged toward the girl on the ground, dropping to his knees beside her because she couldn't be dead, please, not again, couldn't he arrive in time just once, please!

"No, please, not again..."

     Edward desperately propped Susan up with his left arm and placed his right hand on the hole her chest, her blood staining his white gloves red. But he knew that it was futile. Her eyelids fluttered, and her brown eyes met his for an instant. In that instant, Ed could see the fear, the pain, and the desperation that she must have been feeling. Then all of that vanished, and a contented look entered her eyes for a split second, before all life disappeared.

     Edward found himself holding another young girl that he hadn't been able to save, the guilt and despair threatening to overwhelm him. Why, why, why was he always too late? Somewhere in the back of his mind, he knew that he couldn't stay; Sirius Black was still in the castle and needed to be found.

     Edward reached out a shaking hand and carefully closed Susan's eyes. He gently slid his right arm under her legs and lifted her small body, slowly climbing to his feet. It was then that he realized he didn't know where he should take her. He couldn't go to the Great Hall; that was where the students were. After a moment of consideration, he began walking towards the hospital wing.

'Not that a hospital can help her...'

     The walk to the hospital seemed to take an eternity, and Susan's body seemed to get heavier with every step. The only sounds were of his boots hitting the ground, a sound altogether too loud for the occasion. He was all too aware of his metal arm, an arm too hard and cold for carrying a young girl. A girl who shouldn't have to be carried at all.