Chapter Seven

Connor raised an eyebrow at the sleeping arrangement as he climbed into the tent.

Aiden had laid out the thin fleece cover for them to lie on and unzipped the sleeping bag into blanket. They were sharing the small pillow.

Connor shuffled around through his bag and found a hand towel. He ran it through his hair before climbing into his sleeping bag.

"Can I get the light?" Connor yawned.

"Yeah."

The tent went dark. Aiden listened to the light patter of rain on the tent, and their breaths. He was cold, and the temperature was only going to drop as the night wore on.

It was the same as when he'd fallen asleep with a window left open, and woke in the middle of the night. Move an inch, and you'd be shivering, but stay still and you're still cold; too cold to sleep and forget about how uncomfortable you are.

Aiden rolled over, chancing moving an inch closer to Lucas to cover his back with the sleeping bag.

His hand touched Lucas's arm, and he jumped.

Lucas turned to him.

"Sorry." Aiden said quietly.

"Your hands are freezing." Lucas whispered back. He took Aiden's hands in his and rubbed them before pressing them against his chest. It was warmer like that.

"Thank you." Aiden forced himself to relax as Lucas continued to rub his hands softly.

His forced relaxation turned into real relaxation. It was soothing after a while, and he didn't mind being awake as much.

Lucas stopped. "Are your teeth chattering? You're that cold?"

Aiden shrugged, then realised Lucas couldn't see the gesture. "A little bit."

Lucas sighed. "I'm going to head back. I'm sorry about this."

"No" Aiden caught him immediately, "It's pitch black and it's raining. You're not walking back in this."

"I have the torch on my phone, I'll manage." Lucas pushed his hands off him and sat up.

"I'm telling you this as the guide, if you go I have to go with you and I don't want to get soaked." Aiden insisted, "I'll be even colder then."

Lucas was silent for a minute. "Fine. Move over there for a minute."

Aiden shuffled over off the fleece.

There was rustling as Lucas did some rearranging, but Aiden couldn't see what he was changing. Lucas lay back down. "Okay, you can lie down again."

Aiden crawled back over and found that the fleece as well as the sleeping bag were gone. "Wow. Thanks."

"Shut up" Lucas grumbled, "Lie down next to me."

Aiden felt further to Lucas's side and found the sleeping bag had been turned back into a sleeping bag. "We're not going to both fit into that."

"Won't know until we try." Lucas said. "Come on, I'm cold."

Aiden reluctantly climbed in. His legs were stuffed against Lucas's and he was way to close to him. Their chests touched, and Aiden felt Lucas's chin pressing against his forehead.

"I'm going to zip it up." Lucas reached behind Aiden and caught the zip. Aiden was pushed against Lucas, and suddenly everywhere was touching. Aiden was glad it was dark, because his cheeks were burning in embarrassment. "You have to move a bit closer."