Chapter Thirteen

"Aiden."

Aiden jumped awake, his mind snapped away from the nightmare. Lucas was holding his shoulder. Aiden blinked past blurring in his vision and could make out the deep frown Lucas was directing towards him.

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked gently.

Aiden pulled his arm out from under Connor's grip, and felt his cheeks. They were damp from tears. Why was he crying? The nightmare was already beyond the reach of his conscious mind. "I'm fine." Aiden let out a shaky breath, "Thanks."

Aiden was on the couch with Connor. It was way too hot.

He got up without disturbing Connor as best he could, but of course woke him anyway. Connor gave his hand a brief squeeze and rolled over, taking the mountain of blankets with him.

"You should put some ice onto that." Lucas walked towards the freezer. Aiden followed him slowly, checking the dim lighting outside. Rain beat harshly on the roof and against the windows. Aiden had a feeling the storm wouldn't be gone by the evening.

Lucas made tea for Aiden and gave it to him as he handed over the pack of peas. His eyes skimmed down to Aiden's wrist, but he didn't examine it any closer. Lucas went down the hall back to his room.

Aiden picked up the tea. He took a sip. It was sweet.

"I know you'd prefer coffee, but you won't get back to sleep if you have caffeine." Lucas put a blanket over Aiden's shoulders. Not one of the duvets, a smaller fuzzy one that could rest on him without being too heavy.

Aiden felt the soft fabric against his cheek and stared at the tea. Here it was, he thought, the one-eighty.

"I'm sorry." Lucas pulled up a stool close to him.

"Sorry?" Aiden repeated idly. As if he had no idea what Lucas would have to be sorry for.

"I shouldn't have snapped at you." Lucas said, "I shouldn't have gotten mad at you without hearing you out."

"You were mad after hearing me out too" Aiden pointed out.

"Not at you." Lucas's fingers brushed over the edge of Aiden's wrist. "And I just felt stupid after snapping at you. I knew as soon as I accused you of doing it for me, that I was wrong. I'm sorry, Aiden." His voice lowered further. "I think I started to... freak out ... a bit."

Aiden took another sip of tea. He moved his arm out from under the cold vegetables and pulled it underneath the blanket. Lucas was apologising. Because he'd been wrong. Aiden didn't know what he was feeling. There was a small part of him that relaxed. Another part that forgave him – how could he not, when he was being so earnest? And another part that would rather another injury than give in to Lucas.

Aiden couldn't control the potent emotions. He didn't know which to voice.

"Why did you freak out?" Aiden asked. Settling on not having to voice his own feelings. The easy way out.

"I've known that I'm gay for years" Lucas said suddenly, startling Aiden. He was surprised enough by the admission to look at Lucas, whose eyes then held him in place. "But, I've dated girls. I haven't been with a guy. I've never crushed on anyone who I know before, and I never imagined – I don't know why I never imagined actually being with a guy, even though I've known for so long." Lucas let out a frustrated breath.

Crush. Lucas had just said he had a crush. Was he talking about Aiden? Aiden thought it was safe enough to assume so.

"I know you're mad." Lucas continued. "And I'm glad, in a weird way. If I'd lashed out like that to one of my friends, even if I was at fault, they'd eventually apologise to me. With you... it's different. It's always been different."